Alternatives to Prop Firms?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by TsTrades, Apr 23, 2010.

1. bigpapi

bigpapi

Your obnoxious attitude is the main reason these firms frown at old geezers with no trading record. Nothing but a stubborn know it all sunday Joe, if you did all that research ten why aren't you applying to these places, or better yet why isn't anyone calling you back??! I'll tell you why you're not cut out for this, you need to lose that 4.0 "financial class" average attitude and humble up. You blew your cash at a prop firm, it's not the prop firms fault, it is entirely your fault so again, put some cash together study trade lose the attitude.

#21     Apr 25, 2010
  2. TsTrades

TsTrades

bigpapi,

You don't know the first thing about me! How dare you make assumptions like this. You have no idea what the circumstances were at my old firm. Are you really saying that there are no illegitimate firms out there? If there are, how can you possibly assign blame (as in "it is entirely your fault") without knowing the circumstances? I'm sorry you find my academic experience threatening, which you obviously do. But that's not my problem.

Elitetrader doesn't exactly have the best reputation in the world, and I'm starting to see why. Some of you people really sicken me.

#22     Apr 25, 2010
  3. zdreg

zdreg

take this thread with you when u go on an interview. it will guarantee your .....

#23     Apr 25, 2010
  4. here's my advise , go become a broker. Choose decent chop shop down on wall street, and dial and pitch stocks, you can make more money in two years, than if you trade stocks. Most people are suckers, so use them.

#24     Apr 25, 2010
  5. TsTrades

TsTrades

tickmagnet,

Thank you. At least that's something constructive. Yes, I thought "broker" might be a response to this thread, and it is, in fact, something I've thought of myself. I wouldn't rule it out, but it wouldn't really be my first choice either. To me, it's basically a sales job, and I'm not really all that into sales. But, again, I appreciate the non-snarky response.

#25     Apr 25, 2010
  6. bigpapi

bigpapi

Well they didn't force the money out of your hands and into theirs, did they? You signed the check, suck it up it happens, you were taken for a fool and now you want these firms to respect you because you got good grades in your finance classes. Then when people smack you with reality you get defensive, it's not gonna happen buddy, you gotta be responsible for your own pitfalls and quit expecting people to feel sorry for you, put $ together and go to another prop firm that has good reviews, build a track record.
    By the way in case you haven't noticed everybody has a degree, it doesn't mean anything unless you have some type of background and blowing your account at a prop shop doesn't help your resume

#26     Apr 25, 2010
  7. TsTrades

TsTrades

I get "defensive" (or, more accurately, ticked off) when people either make statements that I know not to be true, or when people don't answer the question I asked!

Again, I'm not really interested in prop firms anymore. I think (and experts like Brett Steenbarger think) that anywhere that asks you to put down your own money is basically a scam, and that you're a customer, not an employee. That is, these are "arcades," not true prop firms. And I don't mind saying, and I don't care what you think of this, that I'm better than that. If there were more high-quality firms out there, maybe I'd get into one. But there are very few, so that's why I'm looking for an ALTERNATIVE to a prop firm (hence the title of this thread, for those with poor reading comprehension skills).

If anyone understands this and wants to provide a suggestion or two, please do so. Otherwise, quite frankly, shut the hell up.

#27     Apr 25, 2010
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

I'll give you an alternative to a prop firm. It's called retail. IB seems to fit the bill. Why not IB? Why not retail?

#28     Apr 25, 2010
  9. TsTrades

TsTrades

It's like a broken record around here.

An alternative in which I'm not self-employed. Get it? NOT a tough concept people.

#29     Apr 25, 2010
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

Listen, I'm trying to be a gentleman here. I work at a prop firm. I have been at several others. I know most if not all the firms in NY and Chicago. I could probably get you a job if you were not being such a dick. I'm trying to be diplomatic about this.

Put yourself in their shoes. Would you hire someone like you? Why would you hire someone like yourself. Do you have any idea how many guys e-mail me looking for capital or a true prop firm. I get everything from 18 year old's to 65 year old's. Some of these guys have had 7 figure years. Some of these guys are actually consistently profitable.

What are you bringing to the table other then your degree which no one looks at past the age of 25 btw. They look at your body of work since you have been out of college. I'm trying to be helpful to you. I have actually gotten guys jobs on this site. But I can't for the life of me see what you are offering. I'm saying this in the most respectful way I can.

#30     Apr 25, 2010