Alternatives to Prop Firms?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by TsTrades, Apr 23, 2010.

1. fogut

fogut

Can you send me the link to that thread on Tape reading ?

Thanks.

#111     May 23, 2010
  2. zdreg

zdreg

do a keyword search on ET.

#112     May 23, 2010
  3. abc123

abc123 Guest

TsTrades, you MUST find a way to network with traders at one of the (legit) prop firms you listed as your desired place of work. I.e., you gotta somehow make friends with them, and Facebook is useless for such things. Networking must always be done the old-fashioned way - face-to-face.

The fact of the matter is that even with traditional jobs most people are hired through referrals from from friends. Most of the tougher jobs out there are available through job agencies because of this issue, but even there you'll see recentally landed immigrants referring each other because they were friends back home, or in-laws.

And with a (potentially) high paying career (as trading) where you want to be taught AND receive a salary, AND not have to put up risk capital... believe me, you NEED a REFERAL - there is NO OTHER WAY. Especially not in the type of economy we're in now because I'm sure most of these firms know that we're headed for a double-dip and worse.

With a referral they'll even let you enter as a trader-in-training. Just make sure you ask your reference if his/her boss prefers a total novice, or someone more experienced. If they want a novice whom they can groom bottom-up, then just don't mention your experience with previous prop firms. Don't even use the word "prop firm" or it will raise a red flag.

Anyway, for a 32+ year old with no previous contacts in the industry there is STILL HOPE... You just gotta find a person who will help you break in. This is why many GREAT actors go undiscovered - can't catch a big break with a big director.

REFERENCES/FRIENDS/REFERALS ARE KEY!

Its what you know, but also WHO you know in Hollywood, Washington, AND of course, on Wall Street!

#113     Jun 5, 2010