Alternative to Tradestation

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by AC3, Oct 16, 2008.

1. no tradelink does not support easylanguage...

there is a tradelink-users group where we share code and talk about different ways to program strategies and indicators...

http://groups.google.com/groups/tradelink-users/

unlike tradestation, there are several different templates/styles that give you a choice on the workflow of your box:

http://code.google.com/p/tradelink/wiki/BoxComparison

Here is an example of a strategy built using a template that compares to tradestation in simplicity (BlackBoxEasy) :

http://code.google.com/p/tradelink/source/browse/trunk/Box-Examples/AlwaysEnter.cs

#11     Oct 19, 2008
  2. So TradeLink is a C# dot-net platform then ?
    Wow, it appears the whole world is moving in that direction now...NT and now TL and who's next ?
    So this could mean that C++ is fading into the past and will shortly meet it's MSFT brethern VB in the crypts of dead software.

#12     Oct 19, 2008
  3. yes tradelink is c#

c# is not really comparable to c++.

c++ will always be around, but yes the trend for typical programming tasks is towards virtual machine languages such as .NET, Parrot, LLVM, etc.

#13     Oct 19, 2008
  4. The only problem I have with Multicharts is dealing with a Russian organization.

#14     Oct 19, 2008
  5. I'm a C# coder but am not familiar with Tradelink. How long has it been around? What are the differentiating objectives of the project that might make it appeal to someone like me?

Also. I get the impression, from a very quick scan, that I could take one or more of the components and modify / extend them to suit my own requirements f I so wished. Is that correct? What I'm kind of asking here is whether this is a truely open source, open architecture platform.

Thx
    D

#15     Oct 19, 2008
  6. fundjunkie,

that's correct... it's totally open and ala carte, so if you want to build your own proprietary app using the library.. it's LGPL so you can do this.

in fact that is mostly what I do, I build proprietary applications for other traders (and myself) ontop of TradeLink.

tradelink has been in existing for about a year and a half, we open sourced it back in january or february.

#16     Oct 19, 2008
  7. tortoise

tortoise

MultiCharts is magnificent...their customer support is unsurpassed.

And, by the way, as a born-and-bred, right-wing American, I'm most grateful for the opportunity to support Russian private enterprise.

#17     Oct 19, 2008
  8. Thanks for mentioning it. I'm looking for graybox functionality and I think this might be it even for someone who last programmed a decade ago :)... I was not even aware that I can get c# IDE for free.

mr

#18     Oct 19, 2008
  9. #19     Oct 19, 2008
  10. Beebers

Beebers

I have a real hard time programming .... and this influenced my decision on which alternative to seek after all the aggrevation with TS.
    For a quick side by side comparison of coding examples look at an S & C magazine and their coding. Esignal will go three pages long while others are just a few lines long for a particular code.
    I now use Neoticker - which is almost too much for me, but the possibilities in it are endless. (and you have a choice of several programming languages - so I start with the easy ones and then work myself up to a more difficult one).

#20     Oct 19, 2008