Alternative to Ninja Trader / Mirus Futures for trading ES.

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by amtrak99, May 13, 2010.

1. LeeD

LeeD

If you go with Interactive Brokers, nothing can beat Button Trader for order entry for futures. You will need a separate charting platform though.

#11     May 14, 2010
  2. Ninja is alot easier to use than anything from IB. IMO

With IB's TWS, it's tacky java, the charts suck and are blurry and the tick data filtered/bundled.

Button trader is good but still costs money, bracket trader looks good too, but for charting, alot of people will use Ninja or Quote tracker charting for free anyway

I'd just pay to have it all in one with Ninja 7 and a better broker, data feed and margins. Like Mirus/Zenfire or others from Chicago.

But that's just me.

#12     May 14, 2010
  3. amtrak99

amtrak99

Thanks for the answers.
    What about "Strategy Runner".

If you guys had to say, what is the simplest platform to simply enter calls in at night , and do very little else with....

Someone has to know the "easy" reliable, etc. Futures platform.
    There are so many easy Forex and Stock ones!

Thanks

#13     May 14, 2010
  4. LeeD

LeeD

For simple order entry the most reliable platform would be the one that comes from the broker. Every broker API has its gimmicks and if broker connection drops for whatever reason, no external software is gonna magically revive itl.

#14     May 14, 2010
  5. risky63

risky63

what bothers you about nt?
    just curious.

#15     May 14, 2010
  6. amtrak99

amtrak99

Sure... It's really just not what I'm looking for in a Futures broker.
    I like to really master something and I am very familiar with Scottrade for stocks, and IG Markets for Forex.
    NT is more complicated then those are, and I plan on doing LESS with it then them too.. so learning it just seems very hard.
    Also, I plan on teaching it to a number of the folks my partner and I mentor in Forex and NT would be quite difficult to do that with.

Hence, a basic Futures platform would be great!
    :D
    Anyone?

Thanks.

#16     May 14, 2010
  7. spd

spd

Ninja can be extremely straight forward and simple to use.

You can click buy or sell from the control center
    You can click buy or sell from the chart
    You can click buy or sell from the DOM
    With the paid version you can set a simple stop/profit strategy with about 2 clicks of the mouse

Ninja can also be much more complex for those who wish to use the rest of its basket of features.

I honestly couldnt think of one thing that could be changed to make very basic order entry/management any more intuitive.

#17     May 14, 2010
  8. LeeD

LeeD

All of it takes time to find for a new user. It's not like you can open the first trade in 5 minutes after starting the platform. To start with, you need to figure out (maybe read the manual) regarding how to connect to the datafeed and the broker.

Now, in the ideal world you'd hope the orders entered via DOM and via a chart can be synchronised. If you know how to enter an order in DOM and see it immediately on a chat, please let me know.

#18     May 14, 2010
  9. RL8093

RL8093

I was thinking the same thing. I've used a bunch of platforms & Ninja is very easy to use & learn - at least for the basic stuff.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to the thread starter but you're worried about paying for Ninja, you're calling it complex & you're looking to mentor others ... :eek: :confused: It's a really simple platform & one or two tiny trades makes the cost of Ninja ... if you can't understand or afford that .... :eek: ... Wow! ... :confused:

R

#19     May 14, 2010
  10. spd

spd

Well of course there is a learning curve, but all in all the program is pretty easy to get the hang of.

When I have a DOM up and Chart Trader enabled I see my working orders on both, no matter where order was placed. I never had to do anything to initiate that. That goes for manually entered orders and ATM strategies. Sounds like an issue to take to NT support.

#20     May 14, 2010