Alternative to Ninja Trader / Mirus Futures for trading ES.

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by amtrak99, May 13, 2010.

1. amtrak99

amtrak99

Hi all,

I am an experienced Forex trader but I am now going to be also taking the calls from a friend who is an expert Futures trader.

He uses Mirus Futures on Ninja Trader and I am just starting to learn how to use it.

Not only is it much less user-friendly then IG Markets or other platforms like Scottrade, FXCM, etc... But I find it overall lacking on some options.

For one thing -- I can't set a "limit gain" my trader told me.
    Meaning, I can set a stop loss for however many ticks I want -- but I can't do a limit saying I only want to gain 4 ticks on this trade, etc. etc.

For trading ES futures, (and we trade other futures from time to time as well) is there a more basic Futures Broker OR a way on Ninja to do what I want?

Thanks much everyone!

2. If you are taking trading advice from a guy who says you can't set a limit order on Ninja Trader then I would run away very very quickly :eek:

3. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

For sure this is possible using the paid version of NinjaTrader.

See this video - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/HelpGuideV6/CreatingAPositionStrategy.html

It is possible that the other trader is using a free version offered through Mirus which cripples the ability to use our automated submission of stops/targets although you can still set a manual limit exit etc..

4. I agree with Ray too
    I just purchased the lifetime licenses and been using it for live trading for years.
    The only thing is missing is a gradient chart background color.:mad: :D

5. Ray
    Are you saying Mirus offers free live version of N.T. that you can place manual orders only?

6. amtrak99

amtrak99

Hah, well he is a very good trader and wakes up very early to watch these calls so it's not an issue for him. I trade Forex late so it is for me..

So the NinjaTrader Mirus provides on Demo CANNOT do it though...?

Is there any platform alternative to Ninja Trader though that has an easy Scottrade/FXCM/IG type thing or is Futures always a much more complex platform?

7. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

That is correct.

8. The Ninja demo can do this automatically in Advanced Trade Management (ATM) in the DOM screens. You can set targets, initial and trailing stops, auto breakevens, etc. But you have to you pay or subscribe to use these features in live trading.

For trading live, there are two versions of Ninja; the free version which has all automation disabled, where you place trades manually in the DOM; and the paid version which is the full version with the all automation capabilities enabled. It's about $60 month for the subscription, or about $1000 to own it for life.

9. amtrak99

amtrak99

So again, do I really have to go through all of this to simply trade futures??

Please tell me there is an easier platform for Futures trading??
    Alternatives to Ninja?

Let me know, thanks!

10. joe4422

joe4422

interactivebrokers.com

They have their own platform, it's just a basic ladder.

#10     May 14, 2010