Alternative to IE?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Babak, Mar 8, 2004.

1. maxpi

maxpi

Firefox is a beta program. It is tabbed, which is so nice. The one thing it has that is outstanding is the ability to synchronize your bookmarks like BookmarkSynch (synchit.com) used to do.

I'm going to try MyIE2, first heard of it today, thanks everybody for the heads-up. If they don't have the bookmark synchronization they could probably add it in, who knows, these little projects can respond to customer suggestions a lot better than Microsoft, for sure.

Max

#11     Mar 8, 2004
  2. Don't let the fact that MyIE2 run on IE engine fool you. I was a little bit skeptical before started using MyIE2. It's been rock solid and has served me better than Mozilla/Firefox (not as stable). Personally I don't think IE is pure crap. No matter what we MS haters say, IMHO, recent version of IE is one of the better browser out there. Not the best though ;)

#12     Mar 8, 2004
  3. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

Been trying out MyIE2 for a few days now, and what an improvement! Tabbed browsers is perfect for the way navigate the web, and the mouse gestures is just icing on the cake. Appreciate all who gave their advice.

Any MyIE2 tips or tricks you want to pass on?

#13     Mar 9, 2004
  4. Glad to hear than another person liked it. There are tons of features hidden under the Options and Setup menu. Honestly the best tip is to explore the setup and option menu and go through help file. Once you've done with customizing everything to your own liking, browsing will work like a charm.

There are two things that I learned from my own frustrations:

If you are using Super Drag N Drop for search with Google then you need to setup Google as default search engine - Options -> Setup Center -> Quick Search -> give Google search URL's name as "*" and rename anything else with "*" to something else (default is SteadySearch, which is useless). This will set Google as default search engine.

Another one, If you want Acrobat PDF reader to open in the browser from an URL then you need to allow ActiveX from Options -> Download Control -> Allow ActiveX. Otherwise Browser won't open PDF document.

And also don't forget to utilize URL grouping and setting most favorites features. If you need more help then their discussion forum is always there: http://m2.overseasky.net/

Hope this helps.

#14     Mar 10, 2004
  5. msfe

msfe

Best Tabbed Web Browser, and still FREE!

Slim Browser is a tabbed multiple-site browser. It incorporates a large collection of powerful features like built-in popup killer, skinned window frame, form filler, site group, quick-search, auto login, hidden sites, built-in commands and scripting, online translation, script error suppression, blacklist / whitelist filtering, URL Alias. It brings you convenient and comfortable browsing.

http://flashpeak.com/sbrowser/

#15     Mar 10, 2004
  6. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

whats wrong with the next obvious alternative to IE

NETSCAPE????

Are there compatibility issues witht he others mentioned here?

#16     Mar 10, 2004
  7. Tabbed browser is the latest thing in browsing both IE and Netscape are ignoring it but it has become an underground phenomenon spreading by word of mouth.

#17     Mar 10, 2004
  8. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

It sure does. Thanks!

~Jay

#18     Mar 10, 2004
  9. Question for those using a tab-enabled browser -

Why do you find it such an advantage? Is it mostly a factor of not having a large Windows desktop available?

I've got a lot of desktop space, so I just open multiple IE windows. But if I don't want to take up much space, I can just stack the multiple windows on top of each other and use the Windows task bar (or Alt-Tab) to switch between them.

Curious what any of your specific experiences are that makes it worth changing browsers to get tab-enabling. Thanks.

#19     Mar 11, 2004
  10. to be honest with you i tried mozilla firebird and a few others..

i think it's all hype..

IE 6.+ is just as fast if not faster and IE is stable..

why switch?

:-/

#20     Mar 11, 2004