Alternative to IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Gueco, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

ALL Futures account in the US regulated by NFA/CFTC are traded in a segregated account, Some brokers are are to hide that behind the account#, we can't. With us the two accounts are independent so a margin call in one does not affect the other.

#11     Jan 22, 2018
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Yes, but their futures fees and margin are very high.

#12     Jan 22, 2018
  3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Yes.

#13     Jan 22, 2018
  4. truetype

truetype

I had an interesting chat today with a senior Wedbush exec re the post-merger roadmap. Out of respect for rmorse I won't say anything further.

#14     Jan 23, 2018
  5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

You can say whatever you want. I can't. I know they want me to move to Northern Alaska and cover the elk.

#15     Jan 23, 2018
  6. Gueco

Gueco

is lightspeed, tradestation and td ameritrade direct access brokers? thanks

#16     Jan 23, 2018
  7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

#17     Jan 23, 2018
  8. qlai

qlai

May I ask what the benefits of universal account is? I have it with thinkorswim. I asked the rep how do I control the amount of leverage for futures and he said I can't - it will use my combined account's equity. I didn't like that. I would rather get a margin call and decide if I want to close position or transfer funds. Maybe it's just psychological.

#18     Jan 27, 2018
  9. truetype

truetype

Wtf?

#19     Jan 27, 2018
  10. qlai

qlai

Care to elaborate? Maybe I misunderstood something. Basically let's say I open separate futures account with $25,000 and ES margin is $2,500. If I buy 10 contracts and it goes down they mark to market and I must deposit more money or they liquidate me, right. Well I have stocks and mutual funds in that single account, so my understanding is that this would not cause margin call since I have enough money. He also told me I could not set risk parameters like max number of contracts etc. Am I way off?

#20     Jan 27, 2018