Alternative energy sector stocks

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Raul641, Feb 24, 2007.

1. topdown

topdown

Phoenix Motorcars Signs Deal With Pacific Gas and Electric for All-Electric Vehicles
    Wednesday February 28, 12:24 pm ET
    Powered by Altairnano's NanoSafe Battery Packs and UQM's Electric Drive Motors
    ONTARIO, CA--(MARKET WIRE)--Feb 28, 2007 -- Phoenix Motorcars announced today it received a purchase order for four of its zero-emission, all-electric sport utility trucks (SUTs) from Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) to be delivered in June. The SUTs, which are powered by UQM Technologies, Inc.'s (AMEX:UQM - News) propulsion system, Boshart Engineering's homologation process and Altairnano's (NasdaqCM:ALTI - News) NanoSafe(TM) 35kWh battery pack, will represent the only series of battery-electric trucks in the PG&E fleet.

Phoenix's SUT can travel at freeway-speeds while carrying five passengers and a full payload. The SUT exceeds all specifications for a Type III ZEV, having a driving range of over 100 miles, can be recharged in less than 10 minutes and has a battery pack with a lifespan of more than 12 years. PG&E plans to place a purchase order for 200 of Phoenix Motorcar's vehicles annually to assist in its daily operation of serving over 70,000 square miles in Central and Northern California.
    "PG&E operates the fourth largest alternative-fuel truck fleet in the nation, and we are honored to supply them with a reliable all-electric vehicle to improve their fleet operations," says Daniel J. Elliott, CEO of Phoenix Motorcars. "We want to provide the California-fleet market with high-performance, zero-emission vehicles to reduce costs, improve air quality and protect public health."
    Phoenix Motorcars targets operators of fleet vehicles, such as public utilities, public transportation providers and delivery services. A limited number of vehicles will be available to consumers in 2007 with an expanded consumer launch scheduled for 2008. Phoenix Motorcars will also introduce an SUV model in late 2007.
    ABOUT PHOENIX MOTORCARS, INC.
    Phoenix Motorcars Inc., a privately-held company headquartered in Ontario, Calif., has been an industry leader in the development of battery-electric, freeway-speed vehicles since 2001. The mission of Phoenix Motorcars is to manufacture zero-emission vehicles including Sport Utility Trucks and Sport Utility Vehicles to reduce the toxic emissions from the largest contributor to air pollution, personal automobiles. Phoenix Motorcars has strategic alliances with UQM Technologies, Inc. (AMEX:UQM - News), Altair Nanotechnologies, Inc. (NasdaqCM:ALTI - News) and Boshart Engineering. For additional information, visit www.phoenixmotorcars.com.

#21     Feb 28, 2007
  2. topdown

topdown

MARCH 12, 2007

INSIDE WALL STREET

Charging The Batteries At Altair

Altair nanotechnologies (ALTI ) (ALTI), a tiny outfit in the emerging nano market, has caught the eye of the likes of Alcoa (AA ) and Eli Lilly (LLY ). The big interest lately is in its rapid-charge, high-power NanoSafe battery packs. It has a three-year pact to supply its batteries to Phoenix Motorcars. One go-ahead sign: On Feb. 23, in connection with his new alternative-fuels policy, President Bush saw a demonstration of Phoenix' sport-utility truck, equipped with Altair's battery, along with four other vehicles. Altair uses nano-structured material for the negative electrode, which gives its batteries more power. At Alcoa, Altair provides batteries for its hybrid-electric delivery vans. And at Lilly, Altair helps make compounds to reduce kidney disease in cats and dogs. John Roy of WR Hambrecht, who rates the stock, now at 3.42, a buy, says 2007 orders from Phoenix alone could run up to $42 million. He upped his 2007 estimate from a loss on sales of $18.8 million to a profit of 8 cents a share on $32.9 million. Mark Harding of Maxim Group also has a buy based on Altair's pipeline.

By Gene G. Marcial

Stoney - This is from BW on-line today (and I assume it will be in this week's print edition). I hope you got on-board the ALTI battery powered train!

#22     Mar 1, 2007
  3. Wow interesting. These two stocks it's mind numbing which one to buy I f*ed up went with UQM and then I panic sold. I think the better numbers earnings wise looks to be ALTI. This coming out online was it Marcel's column? If so your in good shape. Maybe I'll get in tomorrow morning.
    God bless your optimism! I feel like a freight train rolled over me.

#23     Mar 1, 2007
  4. I got into Altair right after ZAP (ticker:ZP) announced it's Lotus engineered electric car - there's speculation that Altair's batteries are going into their cars too (when they begin production). A battery that charges for 250+ miles in 10min?! Simply incredible. Sure you have to have a custom wall socket converter thing, but still very, very impressive.

#24     Mar 1, 2007
  5. Does the zap car come close to the performance levels of the phoenix?

#25     Mar 2, 2007
  6. "... combination of the lightweight aluminum vehicle architecture, a new efficient drive and advanced battery management systems is intended to enable a range of up to 350 miles between charges, with a rapid 10-minute recharging time. An auxiliary power unit is planned to support longer distance journeys.

Lotus' APX's conventional gasoline V6 engine will be replaced by revolutionary in-hub electric motors, delivering 644 horsepower in all wheel drive mode, theoretically capable of powering the ZAP-X to a potential top speed of 155mph. A new strong, lightweight and highly efficient structure based on the Lotus technology is planned to give the car a very attractive power-to-weight ratio...."

Very nicely built car for an EV (although it seems to resemble a certain mazda :p )

http://www.zapworld.com/ZAPWorld.aspx?id=4472

#26     Mar 2, 2007
  7. topdown

topdown

There are at least rumors that the ALTI battery is also used in the ZAP vehicle.

"Inside Greentech speculated Altairnano's batteries were at the heart of the new vehicle recently announced by ZAP, the ZAP-Z (see Look out Tesla... ZAP building electric supercar.) While spokespeople for the companies wouldn't confirm or deny the relationship at the time, Gotcher acknowledged the two have been talking for well over a year."

Link:

http://www.insidegreentech.com/node/784

#27     Mar 2, 2007
  8. topdown

topdown

And Don Bright, Trading Guru and ET member appears to have a stake in ZAP.

Thread:

http://www.insidegreentech.com/node/784

Don - Do you care to confirm or deny the rumors that the ZAP utilizes the ALTI battery? How about the UQM motor?

#28     Mar 2, 2007
  9. topdown

topdown

10. I make it a rule to accumulate ZAP whenever it goes under $.95. It always pops whenever something about the environment comes into question. Happened over summer, happened in the past month, and will prob happen again this summer.

#30     Mar 2, 2007