Alternative energy sector stocks

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Raul641, Feb 24, 2007.

1. It feels good topdown we just got to get some of the mo mo $'s out of solar plays and rotating within clean energy... or there's not going to be enough $'s around.

#11     Feb 26, 2007
  2. topdown

topdown

Stoney - See below link to LA Times article on the PMC Truck. That may be part of the gain today. Excerpt:

"Although still in start-up mode, Phoenix Motorcars Inc. has received letters of intent from utility companies and other corporate and government fleet operators to buy almost 650 of the company's electric trucks, Chief Executive Daniel J. Elliott said.

The company has set a goal of selling 7,000 electric vehicles next year and 20,000 — half to fleets and half to retail customers — in 2009."

This really has the potential to be huge.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true

#12     Feb 26, 2007
  3. Yea the old number was 500 so that's a 150 bump.
    What's interesting here is that they will obviously have no legacy healthcare and all that AND several auto factories are unused and located nearby.... It's still way start up so I'm not trying to do a cost analysis how much they have to charge to make a profit but two truths are self evident (1) People will pay more for a green car especially one with this sort of highway performance. (2) stoney needs to get in this stock tomorrow! I've been shuffling other stuff while watching I believe we should close tomorrow over $5.

#13     Feb 26, 2007
  4. Try DSTI for speculative. Someday they should go into production. May have bottomed at $2.

ESLR is still a good buy here, I'm picking up some more.

SPIR has been consolidating, they make the equipment needed for PV.

SPWR is the leader. Steve Cohen had a position in this from the 30s about a year ago. Maybe they got stopped out. Either way, chart is quite bullish.

#14     Feb 26, 2007
  5. FSLR, JASO, TSL

If you have to ask, you really shouldn't be trading because you haven't done even 10% of the homework involved to be successful. JMHO

#15     Feb 26, 2007
  6. Hey Trend_Guy drop the have to ask bs. This is a fully two way discussion site not motley fool> I personally appreciate when someone focuses my attention on a sector by starting an interesting new thread. In this case it was a timely thread as well. In fact I've researched every name in the alternative energy space a dozen times including all three of yours- but the point is I am looking for a new angle and that's why I both share my ideas and am interested to hear others.
    J oint
    M e
    H ung
    O ver!

#16     Feb 26, 2007
  7. you're entitled to your own opinion, as am I

#17     Feb 26, 2007
  8. Absolutely Trend. Sorry if I come off shrill. I should tell you that I do have special permission from you know who for three opinions for the everyman's one.

I'm antsy because there is something trying to happen here with the Alt Energy space but before it can happen organically all these freakin momentum idiots at the hedge funds are driving the prices through the roof. When you break down these companies it's ugly. yet you will watch 10%, 20%,40% money being made and it's getting to me.

I know a stock it's going to move tomorrow. I'm sure of it. I also know that they have never made a dollar in sales to anyone and that their new solar division has no customers either. Does any of that matter to the momentum players, the daytraders? It's against all my trading rules to buy it.

Only a matter of time before the China stocks completely give up the ghost and where will that spec money go...? Not semiconductors I don't think. It's alt energy and biotech and perhaps water. The internet seems old fashioned when compared to trucks that can go 70 miles an hour and don't need gas or emit fumes. And an earth that is baking away
    needs a new way. Less hype more heft!

#18     Feb 26, 2007
  9. That's funny cause judging from your picks, you certainly have not done even 5% of research on the PV industry but are just jumping at any Chinese manufacturer.

#19     Feb 27, 2007
  10. Yea Hydro. Exactamonto. Is it just me or are others secretly happy at these fad blow ups. I was getting crazy watching some of these solar names start to roll & you must stick to your discipline even if it it's killing you.

With the market as well even if I start losing money I like the fear. I don't want my doorman involved in high finance-- just a mutual fund. I feel even in a lousy environment I can find good trades. A stockpicker can shine better in a lousy market than a roaring one. Where even a dart thrower can feel smart.

That being said obviously I've got money tied up in ancient long positions that get hurt in sell offs. psychologically though it keeps me on my feet-- a good dose of crap in your pants which is what we got yesterday.

Now do I have a solar play for you! And it's Chinese!
    But it's decidedly low tech.
    Taking a bite out of Deli Solar (DLSL.OB)

Deli Solar makes solar-powered water heaters and a range of coal and alternative-energy fired boilers. Deli Solar primarily sells into rural Chinese markets, where basic electrical and gas utilities are often unreliable if available at all. It sells through a network of 585 distributors and 2000 retailers in 27 Chinese provinces. The Company says that new laws encourage sales and give it tax incentives:

The National People's Congress, the equivalent of the parliament of the PRC, passed the China Renewable Energy Act, effective January 1, 2006. This law creates new opportunities for the growth of the solar power industry in that it promotes the installation of both solar hot water and space heating systems, the integration of these systems into new construction, the application of solar energy in rural China and affords certain financial incentives to these projects. The National Development and Reform Commission will develop a data base of renewable resources energy projects that are supported by the government. If a company's project is on this list, it can apply for preferential treatment including loan and tax incentives. The Chinese Government hopes that this law will boost the renewable energy sector's share from negligible to about 10 % of total energy supplied. Deli Solar, which focuses on the development and commercialization of renewable energy resources, will be important to China's future economic growth.
    Deli is profitable. Last quarter it earned $.07 per share (fully diluted) on $6.56M in revenues. Annualized, that would be $.28 on approximately $26M in revenues, giving the company a P/E ratio on the run rate of under 5, and a P/S of under 0.5.

The numbers get even more amazing when you consider the cash on the balance sheet. At the end of last quarter, Deli had almost $4.6M in cash and no debt, or almost $.60 per fully-diluted share.
    approximately 6.2 million common shares and 1.8 million warrants outstanding.

The company's tax rate will increase in the coming year as a 100% exemption is scaled back to 50%. The exemption will remain at 50% through 2010, when it expires. The company is also growing rapidly (including building two major production lines). A failure to execute could be costly. Also, Deli Solar has entered into Memoranda of Understanding to purchase two other Chinese companies. These acquisitions, if completed, would utilize much of the company's cash hoard.... So there's a little neg there at the end but it's an interesting story.

I guess the question is does enough sun penetrate the pollution haze of China to make these solar panels work>? Or should they focus on carbon emissions first?

#20     Feb 28, 2007