alternate investing ~ trading - Start Young

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Wallace, Sep 6, 2010.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

I just can't help this. Sorry.:D

I'd like to have two of those buttons. One to sh*t on. The other to cover it up with.:D

#11     Sep 9, 2010
  2. frankly, this is highly simplistic and very cockeyed advice. There is zero evidence that any items, especially richly valued ones will do anything other than founder.

#12     Sep 9, 2010
  3. 'World's most expensive book set to fetch £6 million'
    "Audubon's 'Birds of America' which is set to fetch up to £6million at auction later
    this year. One copy set a world record price of £5.7million at auction in London
    10 years ago. The copy going under the hammer in the Sotheby’s sale rooms had
    been acquired by Frederick Fermor-Hesketh, the 2nd Baron Hesketh, who died in
    1955 at the age of 39." - wonder what he paid for it
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...e-book-set-to-fetch-6million-115875-22552242/

you're welcome to your opinion JoePaterno, however this thread isn't about 'buying
    high and selling low' —
    ". . . especially richly valued ones will do anything other than founder."
    it's about buying low and selling high

the evidence it does work are the 8 nations that broadcast an Antique Roadshow
    most prominent the BBC's which started in 1979 and syndicated around the world
    disproving your 'founder' statement to judge by evaluations of the mostly bought low
    and held for years objects guests bring to the table

i don't doubt that like trading, 90% or more of objects brought to the Roadshows
    are losers, and occasionally the shows illustrate such examples, however since
    i'm not attempting to write the 'Definitive Guide to Collecting and Retiring Rich' i'll
    agree that relatively speaking the thread is simplistic, and is why i wrote the bit
    about "Get Educated"

in hindsight i should have titled the thread 'additional investing ~ trading' and not
    'alternate' since 'additional' is what i really meant

so far as retirement and the financial preparation for it goes, everyone needs to
    "Get Educated" far better than most currently are, as the past couple of years have
    demonstrated, that relying on a single source of income in retirement and allowing
    others to provide it is an extreme risk

'collecting' is and always has been a common, universal and profitably endeavor -
    especially for those that know what they're doing, and to witness by the size of the
    industry as a whole, galleries, museums, dealers, shops/stores, auctions, market
    stalls, Craig's List, eBay, etc etc etc and of course thousands of 'collectors'

#13     Sep 10, 2010
  4. #14     Oct 28, 2010
  5. poyayan

poyayan

What a joke. Just go buy those Goldman 50yrs bond. 6% per year.

#15     Oct 28, 2010
  6. No, this thread is about, "look how a few people tripped over a lucky break" This is about as informative as "the best way to hit the lottery, is to offer the lottery winner 2% of the winnings to take it off his hand, so you can keep 98% of the money."

#16     Oct 28, 2010
  7. drcha

drcha

I can hardly watch those shows. I get so upset when they tell the people their little piece of junk is worth 30 thousand dollars, and then they reply, "Oh, but I would never sell it--it belonged to my mother."

I would have hit the bid and before the estimator finished the sentence.:D

#17     Oct 28, 2010
  8. You can be a packrat and never throw anything away, then appear on the "Hoarders" TV show, then sell all of your moldy "treasures". :(

#18     Oct 29, 2010
  9. There is no bid.

It's an appraisal and nothing more than an estimate of what the item could potentially fetch at an antique auction if the interested buyers actually attend it.

Some of the items are truly valuable and would be hot at any auction but most of them are niche collectibles/antiques that are very illiquid.

#19     Oct 29, 2010
  10. #20     Nov 12, 2010