Alternate Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tderrick, Apr 7, 2010.

1. tderrick

tderrick

I'm spending more and more time out at my lake house these days. That's the good news..
    The bad news is, I can't trade out there!!

Has anyone had any experience with alternate methods of data link? Say, a Hughs Net or Sky Blue satellite link. I think the wireless route is not feasible...

any ideas?

TIA!!

:)

2. gov

gov

I can help here a bit; I have traded a long time and have properties in bad areas (bad = no internet).

Best solution: go to the nearest place that has fast DSL, and rent a small office. This always works, and is what I do now exclusively.

Next best: Sometimes there is a dedicated wireless carrier that does the last mile kinda thing....up here they use a system of motorola radios and towers to relay the signal. Typical ping times sub 100ms if you are situated on the backhaul.

Next next best: Use a wilson SOHO amplifier to catch the nearest cell tower; trade from verizon wireless or whatever. Ping times can be somewhat ok (sub 200ms) but sometimes jitter is quite high, definitely sub-optimal. No fed days, no fast markets, trade when things are a bit calmer. Scalping off the open is not really even good. I should point out that there are inherent latencies in this path.

Sattelite: do not even bother. The people are asses, their technology is absolute shit for running a real time app, and they ream you for said shit. You have been warned, and you will be sorry.

Good luck, hope this helps.

3. tderrick

tderrick

Thanks so much for the help, guys!! :)

I think I 'm pointed in the right direction now...

4. use remote desktop sessions. Leave your computers at home/office and set up a small trading workstation at the lake house.

Get a DSL or satelite or even a Sprint 4G card (good to have as home backup as well) and use it to remote into your home computers with fast internet and stability.

5. tderrick

tderrick

Great idea, also....

thanks... Some type of wireless is the key.

6. rsi80

rsi80

What sort of latency and packet loss do you get on a Sprint 4G connection - best and worst case scenarios?

Thanks.

7. I've never used Sprint's 4G, only ATT 3G. Its not bad - depends on your service signal, etc. Its not great on trains or in cars when jumping from tower to tower but stationary its great to get into a remote desktop session at a box with decent internet.

I would never want to trade off a wireless card alone.

8. My experience with wireless broadband is as follows:

For over 10 years Sprint has been great.

For the past few years AT&T sucks bigtime.

I never tried AT&T prior to a few years ago but it does suck. I know many people who have tried it and we fought it and fought it and it sucks bigtime. Hours and hours with their tech people and finally we get a trickle and five minutes after ending the phoen call it's out again. Everyone I know who tried AT&T wireless broadband has cancelled the service. It is garbage.

Sprint is the number one performing wireless broadband and is a very worthy backup. I know many who swear by it. Myself included.

I would never use any wireless for primary data connectivity if at all possible.

I have no interest in any of these companies.

9. rsi80

rsi80

Would high jitter in this context be a consequence of high packet loss, gov?

Thanks.

#10     Apr 17, 2010