Altering Mean-Variance Portfolio Optimization

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Straitjacket, Jun 8, 2021.

1. I am attempting to create a portfolio optimization based on my own criteria.

Instead of doing a mean-variance optimization, I am trying to optimize based on something different (let's say I am trying to target low P/E versus the variance in Earnings Growth, so presumably optimizing P/E for variance in earnings growth rate).

I have a few questions, if anyone feels they can help me please:

- If I swap the equations in the typical mean-variance optimization formula, I presume that I insert earnings growth rate in the place of returns. Along the same lines, I also presume that I should create a covariance matrix of historical earnings growth rates based on the data. Is this the correct approach?

- I will take earnings growth rate estimates from analysts but I will estimate earnings growth variance myself. Can I just input my estimates for the variance or do I need to use another model if variance is not measured from the "return" data (aka the historical earnings growth).

- Assuming I'm even framing the problem correctly, how do I then optimize the results based on low P/E ratios? I feel like Mean Variance optimization was built to encompass valuation because valuation is implied by price returns. My situation is different.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. So, what exactly are you optimizing and what are all of your constraints?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    guru likes this.