already sorry I've opened a new IB account ...

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by tortoise, Jan 13, 2011.

1. tortoise

tortoise

This just gets better and better.

I did not say I couldn't figure out how to place a buy order on tws.

I said I couldn't make sense of "bid" v. "ask" v. "BookTrader Price" in the specific context of the button configuration utility.

Just to make it absolutely clear, I've attached the screenshot ... yet again.

#41     Jan 14, 2011
  2. moarla

moarla

since you are not able to find out what that means, what broker are you suggesting to go? what is your alternative? Give us your top brokers.

#42     Jan 14, 2011
  3. tortoise

tortoise

Ok, finally. Someone shuts down the crank.

+1 to you for that.

And, yeah, that's why I opened an account with them.

But WTF's up with their crazy TWS?!

*&%$%!!

#43     Jan 14, 2011
  4. cstfx

cstfx

You know, you don't have to use and understand every feature in the TWS. There are too many since they are trying to be everything for everyone. Reading the link that was provided above, it appears that the booktrader feature is not a necessity to execute your trades - just that some people feel it is an added convenience. I suggest you just ignore this feature (you can turn it off if it bugs you) and trade how you know.

Many IB clients (myself included) don't trade off the TWS because it can be too confusing or bloated. If you want to stay with them, I suggest you look at Ninjatrader, Buttontrader, etc as a front end to bypass the TWS maze. I use NT with their FXTrader and rarely have a need to interact directly with the TWS for my trades and things run smoothly. Like you mentioned way earlier, take the time this weekend to get familiar with the software and if you haven't done so already, set up the paper trading account to test the features without harm.

#44     Jan 14, 2011
  5. JackR

JackR

Tortise:

Your multiple comments in the "Latest Broker Ratings" on the ET login page led me to this fascinating thread. I looked at your screenshot and cannot figure out where in the process you are. Because you appear to be a new member of the ever-happy, always satisfied, IB professional trader family, I'd like to offer you my help.

1) Somewhere in the IB documentation there is a statement that some features are defaulted off.
    2) I went to the configure buttons on my BookTrader (I use it daily) but your screenshot looked nothing at all like what I see. I've been with IB for over 5 years and have slowly adjusted my TWS to meet my needs. This is true of my papertrading account that I run on a separate machine as well. I do not want to change my configuration. You on the otherhand have a virgin version. So----

Please advise:
    a) TWS Build version. Can be found by right clicking on the topmost menu bar "Help". Then right-clicking "About Trader Workstation"
    b) Operating system (XP, Vista, Win 7, OS/2, CP/M, etc.)
    c) Steps you took to reach that posted screenshot stage of setting up - e.g. Opened TWS, opened Configure, selected..., etc.

I'll download a new TWS version to my laptop and see what I can see. Who knows. While helping you I may find that you have uncovered a recently added feature I can use to great advantage.

Jack

#45     Jan 14, 2011
  6. JamesL

JamesL

already sorry I read through this drivel.

This is not the first time you've taken to the forum to bash IB. And then you go and leave 3 negative reviews because you claim that you, how shall I put this, are too stupid to take the time to figure out a broker's platform. You are simply just anothe IB basher with a little too much time on your hands.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2854721#post2854721

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1776900#post1776900

here's a little kicker: you claim to have had an IB account more than 3 yrs ago yet this new thread says you FINALLY opened an account? :confused:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1670939#post1670939

No quotes on your TWS.

And yet you supposedly cleared out and closed your IB account a month earlier:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1629285#post1629285

Hell, here's a whole thread about your misadventures with IB and how you planned to leave:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100929

This whole thread is nothing more than an attempt to trash IB. Don't let the man fool you - he's been down this "bash IB" path before.

Lame.

#46     Jan 14, 2011
  7. BSAM

BSAM

Wow!!! Good work, James!

BUSTED!

Bye bye Tortoise.

#47     Jan 14, 2011
  8. JamesL

JamesL

9. JackR

JackR

My offer is retracted. It was based on my belief in a person's general honesty. You'd think I'd learn.

#49     Jan 14, 2011
  10. tortoise

tortoise

#50     Jan 14, 2011