already sorry I've opened a new IB account ...

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by tortoise, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Already sorry you opened up an IB account after the first day without even giving a chance to learn? I think it is ridiculous how many of these types of threads pop up. IB is a great broker for retail traders, imagine what our options would be like without IB to push competition rates lower?

#21     Jan 13, 2011
  2. BSAM

BSAM

Exactly. Me thinks he is getting his cart a bit ahead of his horse here.

#23     Jan 13, 2011
  3. tortoise

tortoise

This is fascinating. No one -- NO ONE -- seems to know what the "BookTrader Price" is.

"Bid" v. "Ask" v. "BookTrader" price. NONE OF YOU ARE ABLE TO SAY!!

My heavens. You use this platform. You emerge, en masse, to ridicule anyone who expresses unhappiness with IB. And yet ...

None of you appear to know what you're talking about.

Which leads me to wonder ...

Is IB a brokerage? Or a cult?

Once again, can someone take a look at the attached screengrab and explain to me, in the context of this BookTrader button configuration window, what the "BookTrader Price" is referring to?

It's a simple question. Or it should be. Don't you think?

#24     Jan 13, 2011
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Brother, try to relax. Drink some milk. The Book Trader is an order entry tool. Have you downloaded the TWS standalone or are you looking at the WebTrader? You're making too big of a deal out of this one single item in TWS than is necessary.

The TWS standalone download is actually pretty much intuitive / self-explanatory. You got to give yourself some time. If you walked into Ford Motor Company would you expect to be able to build an entire F150 on your first couple days in the plant?

This is from the IB website:

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
    BookTrader

BookTrader allows you to create, modify and transmit orders for a single contract from within the book price ladder.

Add position and P&L fields to the quote line for a dynamic view.
    Single click order creation for Limit, Stop and Bracket orders.
    Create and customize hotkeys to support many additional order types.
    Ladder of prices displays available bid and ask quantities.
    Color coded for instant recognition of current best bid and ask prices, the day's trading range, order types and order status.
    Pre-set your order defaults for specific symbols.
    Independent floating window allows multiple windows to be opened simultaneously.
    Select Advanced Mode to operate 100% with keyboard and create editable Order column.
    Familiar TWS trader tool layout provides:
    Customizable quote line and order row fields.
    Complete order management.
    Full Screen icon hides menu and trader panel for a greater view of the price ladder.

#25     Jan 13, 2011
  5. Bob111

Bob111

damn! you press on ask-buy order is created,press transmit-done.

opposite for sell or sell short. two clicks is too hard or as you say-terrifyingly complex :confused:

#26     Jan 13, 2011
  6. Because none of them probably even know what it is either. :D

#27     Jan 13, 2011
  7. bigpapi

bigpapi

Try calling customer service rather than posting here, and you should get quicker results

The older videos are a pain but it's the only way unless you love to read, they have new videos that are shorter ask cust svc i forgot where they are

#28     Jan 13, 2011
  8. joe4422

joe4422

They have wonderful walk through videos. The problem with the OP here is his attitude. IB is for professional users, it's not a user friendly, call you on the phone, walk you through everything brokerage. They have brokerages for that, Scottrade, schwab, etc...

I think the OP should close his account now, and switch his money to Optionsxpress. If he's having this much trouble now, just wait until statements come, or he ends up confusing his orders.

#29     Jan 13, 2011
  9. yup and max out any of the alert limits as well. ie. Position size, etc.

#30     Jan 13, 2011