Almost got arrested for not carrying identification!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DrEvil, Jan 6, 2009.

1. DrEvil

DrEvil

I enjoyed a nice christmas break in Spain, visiting friends, however on my last night there, my friends and I were stopped by the police (routine they said). One of my friends was not carrying an ID card and I was not carrying my passport. We were then promptly searched and interrogated about our movements and professions and told we were being taken to the police station for processing. When asked what for, we were told that we had broken the law by not carrying our identification. Luckily in the end they did not take us. Btw, incase you are wondering we are all white westerners.

What is going on in Europe? The only thing missing is the goose step.

2. DrEvil

DrEvil

Ah, I'm living in the U.K. I didn't realise it was the law in U.S as well. I suppose when I.D cards are impossed on us british we will subject to the same law.

3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

For simply not carrying an ID? Your kidding me? Holy crap, I hardly ever have one on me.

4. Arnie

Arnie

You were arrested for not having any ID? Or was it someting else? :D

5. If that is true then you have a major lawsuit on your hands. I suspect it is complete BS though. If you were arrested it was no doubt for something other than not having an ID.

6. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

This thread got me curious to find out what the hell is going on. In a lot of states they can not arrest you per say, but they can hold you for up to 72 hours while they establish who you really are.

7. In Spain, requesting I.D. 's is part of their anti-illegal immigration policies. If no I.D., or Passport shows more than 90 days since last entry and no residence permit, then you go to jail. So the cops now routinely ask for ID to anyone foreign looking.
    Other european countries do the same thing.

8. TGregg

TGregg

Exactly. Smells like BS. Unless he was driving without a license, or packing heat or something. In the US, if you get thrown in the slammer for not having your papers in order, the ACLU and most of the media would be helping you sue for a stack of greenbacks.

9. DrEvil

DrEvil

Correct me if I am wrong, but was is not forced carrying of identification that greatly facilitated the nazi's ability to single out jews during the holocaust?

10. TGregg

TGregg

No links, huh?

#10     Jan 8, 2009