ally invest ... opinions/experiences?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by stockmarketbeginner, Jan 4, 2018.

1. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I started with MB Trading around 2000 I think. Then they were acquired by Tradeking in recent years and now Ally comes along. But I was able to keep my old MB Trading commission plan grandfathered in.

#11     Jan 12, 2018
  2. status1

status1

I signed up with Ally recently
    I actually transferred my account from Tradestation which I upend just a couple of months before but it was so bad that I had no choice but to get out of there
    I thought I would get to use the Tradking platform which seems to be decent looking but now I find out that the Tradeking platform is only available to former Tradking customers even after the merger which is kind of a bummer because the web version is kind of clunky to use but it's still better than Tradestation

They say that their trading platform is the "Ally Invest Live interface"
    Does anyone use that and know what that is ?
    Is that just another name for the their web version ?
    I could not find anything else other than the web platform but I just started a week ago so I did not have time to explore everything that is on the websit

#12     Feb 23, 2018
  3. status1

status1

So I got a reply from them and they confirmed that the Ally Invest Live interface is actually their web platform
    I took a closer look and I found the risk graph that I thought was part of Tradeking but it's available to Ally option traders as well so it's all good
    Of course it's not as good as TOS but it's better than most other brokerages which have nothing
    It's pretty much impossible to trade complex options without a risk graph

#13     Feb 24, 2018
  4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Why? You should be able to see in your head the risk reward for simple complex spreads. You should know where you make money and lose.

#14     Feb 24, 2018
    lawrence-lugar likes this.
  5. status1

status1

Just curious what is your idea of a simple complex spread ?
    Isn't that an oxymoron ?
    If you can see in your head what is the volatility effect on your trade and do the Black Scholes calculation in your head for each strike than I guess you don't need the graph

#15     Mar 17, 2018
  6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Any spread or paired option with stock. They exchanges call it the COB-Complex Order Book.
    For a vertical, buy write, condor, butterfly etc, I can see in my mind where I make an lose money, and so should anyone that trades these before they trade them. You should not have to look at a simple graph to see where you make an lose money.

#16     Mar 17, 2018
  7. status1

status1

Thanks
    I was thinking more like asymmetrical condors and butterflies
    Are you talking about the expiration line or the current p/l graph ?
    Cab you also see in your mind what the p/l of your trade is at the end of the day after the vix goes from 9 to 35 ?

#17     Mar 17, 2018
  8. expiated

expiated

I opened a trading account with Ally Invest Forex during the second half of October 2020 so that I could trade foreign currency pairs through their system. I sent them a question via email about an issue I was having trying to access my account (but not the trading platform, which I use on a daily basis) on January 27, 2021. They didn't bother replying to my email until today, 20 days later!

#18     Feb 16, 2021
  9. expiated

expiated

Today I wanted to add funds to my Ally Invest Forex trading account, and fortunately, today I was able to figure out (remember) how to access my account without having to call the number with which they provided me in the communication they emailed on February 16, 2021.

However, the last step to depositing the funds was to enter a security code they supposedly sent to my email inbox. However, the darn code never arrived!!! So, I said, "Hang this!" And I withdrew my balance instead. Thank goodness, a verification code wasn't required to do that as well!

So, in conclusion, I guess I'm done trading via Ally.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    #19     Mar 19, 2021