Alltime high on Nasdaq

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Nostradamus357, Jan 21, 2011.

1. S2007S

S2007S

Whats going to be the next major catalyst for the nasdaq to get to 5000???

Back 10 years it ago it was people buying computers and going online at record levels, what do we have now??

Smartphones and 62" LCD TVs....

The internet was a great catalyst for the economy back 10-15 years ago, its going to take something twice that big to get the nasdaq to 5000. There needs to be some kind of huge discovery or change in tech to do it. A few new smartphones and tablets isnt going to do anything.

#21     Jan 24, 2011
  2. ammo

ammo

most of the ideas over the last 30 years were human ,then computer math to bring them to fruition, medical miracles thru computer imagery and electronic reading of brain scans,tube the size of human hair temporarily implanted into tumors to view and remove the cancerous tissue, to name just two,you or i,the majority, being out of the loop ,have no clue as to the posssibilities,they are multiplying as we speak

#22     Jan 24, 2011
  3. noddyboy

noddyboy

Cloud computing and tablets. They are changing the way business is done.

#23     Jan 24, 2011
  4. jnbadger

jnbadger

huh?

#24     Jan 24, 2011
  5. Here's only an idea, but who knows right now..

Back in the late 90s the internet and the new internet trading imo is what catapulted the markets into the stratosphere.

Nowadays we have gov't intervention coupled with multitudes of people out of work not willing to take $10 jobs. Along with this we now have deep deep deep discount brokers which allows folks to play longer, and, on top of all this throw in a dash of a consistent flow of companies domestic and emerging showing solid growth with fewer employees.

I'm a short term trader and know that things may be getting a bit toppy here, and a correction is due, but I'm seeing hearts n flowers at the moment for the longer term.

#25     Jan 25, 2011
  6. people have options now. you can go to the movie theater OR you can stream movies on netflix.

you can go to the mall OR you can buy on amazon/ebay.

you can go to the grocery store OR you can order from the store's online site.

should we also eliminate automobiles and go back to horseback too? that'd increase face-to-face interaction

#26     Jan 25, 2011
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

good, more for me. i still dont have a facebook account (never will, privacy thank you) and i dont own one single apple product (simply no need).

#27     Jan 25, 2011
  8. Agree.

And Facebook is stupid. It's kinda like an advanced version of a phone book. This doesn't mean I wouldn't trade it tho, either long or short.... wherever it goes as I think it will have the potential for some nice runs.

#28     Jan 25, 2011
  9. Marin88

Marin88

There is a difference between typical European and American businesses, European businesses could be multibillion and still be private companies i.e. family owned. Facebook is trying to be semi-private i.e. less than 500 share holders?

Information age is truly coming, google is working on their chrome OS. It'll be a fun ride.

#29     Jan 25, 2011
  10. bkveen3

bkveen3

Tablets are the next step. Think of the possessive nature teens have towards phones. Now multiply that by a billion on a smart phone or tablet that carries "their whole life". This tool takes over several areas of life and creates huge new markets. Think of the tablet as your future remote control. Wireless connectivity will make it possible to play your library of movies on anyone's tv via your tablet. You will also be able to view your tablets screen wirelessly on tv, facilitating the way younger people view videos in groups.

Whoever finally puts cable out of business and sells airtime online will make money. Basically create a market where anyone who wants to produce shows can have a live channel with commercials as well as pay based content. For example, you could sell access to a tv series and because the access is virtual you can have an extreme amount of control on pricing. Your pricing structure could range from 1 episode viewed once to permanant ownership of the entire series and everywhere in between. It is also possible the emerging role of the tablet facilitates this transformation.

There are also developers creating methods of payment via smart phone that are extremely secure and cheaper than using debit cards.

These are a couple things I could see happening to make tech bigger. I am sure there are millions of others I am not capable of imagining. Humans can only think linearly and growth is exponential. For example, hardly anyone could have imagined how advances in magnetic storage would change the world. The long term trend (as in forever) is up, go with the trend.

*(citation, parts of the last paragraph are from "Using MIS" by David M. Kroenke)

#30     Jan 25, 2011