all time favorite musical performance

Discussion in 'Politics' started by marketsurfer, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Musical performances?

For many, it is hearing live the song that they have heard a thousand times already.

For some it is the show, the theatrical nature of a presentation.

For some it is the joy of live music.

For some it is just the loud noise in a crowded hall.

Rarely is a live performance spontaneous in rock and roll.

There are a few precious recordings of truly live music in the anals of rock and roll. Music that is alive, not just performed.

That would be a good question to ask, eh surf? The best live albums of all time (no, Frampton comes alive is not among them).

I remember listening to a Joni Mitchell Live album many years ago, and on the album she was wanting to perform some new music, never before heard by the audience. The audience was screaming: "My Old Man" "Big Yellow Taxi" "Woodstock" and the like. The audience just wanted to reproduce the feelings of the past, to hear the old standards, not to experience a real artist at work.

She stopped performing, and said,

"One thing that is great about painting" (for those who don't know, Joni is a very accomplished painter as well as a composer, musician, and performer)

She continued, "Van Gogh never had to hear 'Paint "A Starry Night" again, man."

Joni then proceeded to sing her new material with the soul of an artist, not a performer.

There is a big difference between listening to a musical performance, listening to an artist at work, and listening to a composer perform their own work with deep feeling.

For those who don't know the difference, I am sorry for you.

#41     Oct 23, 2002
  2. rs7

rs7

Grateful Dead the exception of course!!!!!:)

#42     Oct 23, 2002
  3. No wonder no one wants to believe you; not only are you inconsistent with your previous claims, they seem to suspiciously contradict. To wit:

"Best concert I ever saw (at least a tie) ... Airplane at the Fillmore East. I am going to guess it was Oct. or Nov. 1969."

What's even more amazing, you can't even remember which month this concert took place, you think it was "Oct. or Nov. 1969."

But elsewhere you claim to be an "undergrad" at some school in Florida in 1969. What would you be doing in NYC in October? I can see Nov., you'd presumably be on Thanksgiving break, but then wouldn't you remember it was the same month that you saw the Stones, which I happen to know took place on 11/27-28?

#43     Oct 24, 2002
  4. no worries marketsurfer,

Rage is pretty good if you like that music genre.

You surf in Cali? Trying to get back in to the sport after 18 years off the board. I never remember it being this difficult. Figured it would be a breeze 'cause I snowboard a bunch. Man was I wrong.

Later,

Cracked

#44     Oct 24, 2002
  5. rs7

rs7

DuH!!!!!!! Maybe I GRADUATED IN JUNE of 1969? Why are you STILL obsessed with me?. And yeah, the Airplane was great. But I had seen them many times. And the concert was just a different kind of event. More about them following Joe Cocker. Also, Fillmore concerts were a weekly outing. The Stones was a special event, and I didn't know we had tickets until the night before. And they were GREAT tickets. Friend's dad worked for William Morris and got us 12 tickets.

Max, why is your life dedicated to researching my life and my posts? Is your life so empty?

BTW, I saw the Stones on the second nite, so I guess it must have been 11/28. Thanks for keeping records!

#45     Oct 24, 2002
  6. Rs7, are you even capable of telling the truth?

You claimed you were an undergraduate in 1969 and witnessed this event:

"I was an undergird[sic] at one of those half dozen universities. In 1969, we had our very first african american football player."

The player you are talking about came to that school and played in the fall of 1969.

That's the problem with being untruthful, rs7. Liars fail because it is very difficult to remember everything said before and then recalculate it into a plausible current statement that agrees with the past.

You want to claim I'm "obsessed" with you, as if that will offset (the possibility of) your "crap" factor. Frankly, I just can't stomach your resumé because I think it's phony. And your record for proving your veracity, such as the gaffe above, in my opinion, stinks.

#46     Oct 24, 2002
  7. rs7

rs7

OK, maxine.....last answer. Chuck Foreman was on the team and was red shirted. OK? You are right. He was NOT playing when I was still in school. But he was on the team, or if not, he was recruited by then. In any event, he was the first black player (to my knowledge) to play for Miami.

Do you have nothing better to do than to try and disprove every word I say? You are indeed an ill individual.

Get your own life. For my sake, and for yours

#47     Oct 24, 2002
  8. What on Earth are you mumbling about? Once again your lame attempt at confusing the facts has failed. BTW- Please continue with your imbecilic use of dimunitive names, it really makes you look righteous.

IF you graduated in June of 1969, you would not be at Miami when Chuck Foreman played the following Fall (of 1969). Foreman was not at Miami for the 1968-1969 school year as a student, player or redshirt.

His Senior year for Football was 1972. He graduated in Spring, 1973. Which means he entered Miami in the FALL of 1969.

http://hurricanesports.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/112199aaa.html

"I was an undergird[sic] at one of those half dozen universities. In 1969 , we had our very first african american football player."

You even have this completely wrong. From the Hurricanes website:

"It wasn’t until December of 1966 that UM signed an African-American athlete, Ray Bellamy, a 6-5, 210-pound wide receiver from Palmetto, Florida, who chose Miami over Florida State, Florida A&M and a number of major colleges in the Midwest. Miami became the first major college in the Deep South with an African- American football player on scholarship, and Bellamy became a standout both on and off the football field.

Tom Sullivan, a tailback from Jacksonville, became the second African-American signee in 1968 and was followed one year later by future pro stars Burgess Owens and Chuck Foreman."

#48     Oct 24, 2002
  9. By the way, his name is Max401...NOT Maxine!

God, RS7, it's true you can't get your facts right! What a LIAR!:D

Max, you should lend your prodiguous sleuthing talents to the FBI and help crack the sniper case or Jon Benet Ramsey case. Or better yet, find out what happened to Chandra Levy!

#49     Oct 24, 2002
  10. And then have rs7 claim he solved it? Hah!

#50     Oct 24, 2002