All The Best Linux Security Hardening?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by ktmexc20, Mar 18, 2006.

1. #11     Mar 20, 2006
  2. Bsulli

Bsulli

Topics like chroot jailing,

Not sure exactly what your allowing or not allowing on your servers from this thread but most of the time when i have jailed users it's been for uploading stuff to me. I turn of ftp port 21 all together and make users use ssh to send me files. This is one of the best tutorials I've come across for jailing. The guy is an end user engineer supporting servers. Even though the scripts he has for download seem dated the jailing part of Linux hasn't changed at all over the last few years. Worth the read anyway.

http://www.jmcresearch.com/projects/jail/design.html

The top left column has the links to each page.

fwiw

Bsulli

#12     Mar 20, 2006
  3. Those are terrific links, thank you both.

kt

#13     Mar 20, 2006
  4. Hi all,

Interesting posts.
    In my opinion, starting out with a correctly configured hardware firewall up front, in your router, is an absolute must. Carefully check all ports left open - not many should. Think about every such open port whether it is required.
    This should (almost) take care of security by itself.

I still use chkrootkit and Klamav/clamav.

#14     Mar 28, 2006
  5. Thanks for your comments nonon.

#15     Mar 28, 2006
  6. bitrend

bitrend

I know the best way to really protect my computer from hackers around the world. Even the astute hacker cannot invade my computer. That invincible method is to unplug the Ethernet cable. :D

By the ways, don't worry too much about Linux since Linux is more superior than Windows for security issue, its design is inherited from Unix philosophy. The OS has the permission control and prevent virus/worm to spread from one infected file to anothers. It's better to use another userid for regular tasks instead of root user, root is for administration tasks only.

I recommend RedHat Fedora Core 5 (http://www.redhat.com/fedora), it just has been released March 20, 2006. There are two popular Linux distribution Fedora & Debian. Why Fedora? Because Fedora in easy to install and fast development while Debian is slow development but very stable.

#16     Mar 28, 2006
  7. Hi bitrend, thanks for your comments.

It's cool to hear that there's now an FC5. Seems like yesterday that FC4 was released.

I recently built Suse for a couple people and I could definitely recommend that distro to people who are Windows users and want to switch to Linux or have both Windows and Linux on their box. Painless to install and maintain.

As for me, I think I'll always be a Gentoo'r as it's simply the best for complete customization and speed, imo.

kt

Gentoo'rs love Gentoo :cool:

#17     Mar 28, 2006
  8. Have you looked at www.openbsd.org

It's not Linux but it's goal is to be the most secure operating system.

It's UNIX but most linux programs can be run on it.

#18     Apr 6, 2006