All indicators useless?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by indahook, Apr 16, 2003.

1. "Yes my trading improved when I begin to understand probabilities of the strategy along with better risk management (I do this via position size management). "

NihabaAshi,
    I have tried position sizing, but always seem to make the wrong call as to what kind of size I should play on which trade. Have found for me personally that trading one size (500 shares) has been optimal...plan on increasing to 1000 shares as my account grows. So far my avg winning day is $200 and avg losing day is $70 (both net). With 55% winning days.
    Maybe you could give me some ideas on how you decide your size for a particular trade?
    Thank you.
    C.

#41     Apr 16, 2003
  2. Hi indahook,

Later this evening...I'll send you a private message...so make sure your ET box isn't full :cool:

NihabaAshi

#42     Apr 16, 2003
  3. "Later this evening...I'll send you a private message...so make sure your ET box isn't full"

Thank you. It will be empty
    C.

#43     Apr 16, 2003

4. Well said!

#44     Apr 16, 2003
  5. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

There is one foolproof indicator.
    If you have to hit the head.....the market will definitely move quickly in your absence......It is listed in the Peter Principle somewhere:D :D

#45     Apr 16, 2003
  6. indahook,

Learn how to quote. (bottom right of message)

F. P.

#46     Apr 16, 2003
  7. dav10

dav10

indahook - I totally agree in what you say, that indicators are useless and just cause confussion and (noise). I have been studying the markets for about 10 years and studied (MAC D, RSI, BOLLINGER BANDS, VOLUME OSCILLATORS, ROC, POSITIVE VOLUME INDEX AND NEGATIVE VOLUME INDEX, STOCHASTICS AND THE LIST GOES ON.) I have now been doing an indepentant trading system for a private investors for two years now and stocks for the past 10 years, so pulling the trigger does not come into it. But I am glad that someone else on this forum has come to the same conclusion as me, with a little help from the past and not forgotten wild, who pointed me in the direction of e-mini (liquid and volume.) I have also discovered after studying 13 hours a day for two years, candlesticks, support and resistant levels, is all that really counts, if you want a good profit to loss ratio. By working using this method I have a ratio of 17 out 20 winners. The experts and senior members of most chat rooms say "keep it simple" and when you discover this skill, you can unclutter you mind and concentrate on what the markets are actually doing instead of spending an hour checking all the signals first.

#47     Apr 16, 2003
  8. To be honest, i think theres a bit of semantics going on here. What one trader calls something might mean something completely different to another. I'm not sure what mechanical is. Can you define for me.

Also, for clarification of my previous posts in this thread, I do look at moving avgs and std deviations but I do not consider those indicators. To some other traders they might. So you can see how we all can confuse each other. I was just trying to give somebody my perspective.

#48     Apr 16, 2003
  9. I agree.

Many discretionary traders are mechanical and many mechanical traders are discretionary in their approaches when it comes to executing trading signals. :)

Indicators themselves (which is what this thread is about) are considered discretionary tools to some traders, but to others they are considered mechanical tools.

#49     Apr 17, 2003
  10. Thats the great thing about the markets in general...we all see something different. Very cool.

#50     Apr 17, 2003