All I Do is Lose Money

Discussion in 'Trading' started by oldtime, Nov 7, 2012.

1. I think people are confused about a trading style/strategy that doesn't use stops and never closes out a position based on how far it has moved against

It doesn't mean you don't take losses, it just means you don't take them because a stop has been hit, or it has moved against you too much

Stock investors have been doing this for years

It's not like it is some kind of secret fromula

To say it is based on fundamemntals is not accurate, unless you say you have a fundamental belief in what you think most people will probably do

In which case, yes, that is true

Not that it's better than anything else

But it's something to bet on, and gives me a foundation

It has nothing to do with how profitable or un profitable my positions are

yet, that's all I trade. Everything is based on my account balance.

and I can tell you, it is really piss poor at the moment.

#31     Nov 7, 2012
  2. they'll be worrying about you and saying things behind your back like "He's getting so old, he can't even throw things when he gets mad anymore."

#32     Nov 7, 2012
  3. Daring

Daring

Emotions in trading are never eliminated, just controlled.

Perfectly normal considering we are humans.

#33     Nov 7, 2012
  4. That post was like a fortune cookie.

I still have no idea what you are talking about and tend to avoid interacting with people who cannot talk in specifics.

That being said, if what you are doing is working for you, then keep it up [​IMG]

#34     Nov 7, 2012
  5. you know, to be honest, I just don't have them anymore. I've seen enough profits turn into a loss to know a loss can turn into a profit. Nothing really shakes me anymore.

You always want to protect yourself from being complacent. But that doesn't mean you can't remain calm. And the good thing is, if you are calm, you can make very quick decisions at a moments notice.

As for me though, emotions just aren't part of the game anymore. I already went through that and it didn't make me any money, and probably cost me a few dollars.

#35     Nov 8, 2012
  6. I thought it was pretty obvious, I don't know how I can make it more clear. I don't take losses based on a stop getting hit. As a matter of fact, I don't even use stops.

I don't take losses based on how much something has moved against me.

What kind of fortune cookies have you been eating? Can you get me some?

#36     Nov 8, 2012
  7. toc

toc

If your large profits are turning into losses, then that most probably means you are not reading or respecting your technical indicators or logic correctly.

you are defying rule after rule on trading.

seems you are not even trading a plan or a system, just trading at random.

better throw your efforts at finding some decent system and give it to a broker to run, utilize free time in some other earning pursuit. :D

#37     Nov 8, 2012
  8. yes, I have no respect for technical indicators. If there is a rule, I try to defy it. Based on the assumption, most lose. When most start breaking the rules, then I will follow them.

#38     Nov 8, 2012
  9. You said you don't take losses and then you said your monthly statements have losses on them.

I don't get your brand of doublespeak.

When you said you average down I thought maybe we could chat because I average down all the time, and 99% of this forum is like "OMG AVERAGING DOWN IS TERRIBLE," but I don't understand anything you type, so like I said, keep on keepin on, man :cool:

#39     Nov 8, 2012
  10. I have many positions on all at once. I am quite certain all the trades over time have negative expectency. Yes, I average down, but I also add to winners. There comes a time to take a profit. Some of the positions are winners, some are losers. That's why at the end of the month the account statement looks normal. I doubt very little of my success has anything to do with trading techniques. They just make me happy and keep me centered. I make money by guessing right.

#40     Nov 8, 2012