All eggs in one basket still a bad idea.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Overnight, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Overnight

Overnight

2. qlai

qlai

Lol, everyone is fully automated until the draw down becomes unbearable.
    I remember one automated trader saying - we learned that although a system looked great even with 25% DD, in reality we could not stomach more than 15% :)

3. d08

d08

This is so true. 25% would be on the extreme end and I'm thinking I can handle it, something else might offset the number. Then 20% hits and I feel like it's 40% and start losing it.

They and Overnight like this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Isn't an automated strategy supposed to take out that variable from trading?

5. d08

d08

In backtests over 25 years, the model outperformed the Jakarta Composite by an average 2% annually while giving investors some protection from equity crashes, Rachmat said.

Hardly anything to brag about. Sounds like he was just the right person in the right time, talent not being a factor. His results after the main event are also poor.

Whether that’s enough to boost returns and assets under management at the 16.4 billion rupiah ($1.1 million) fund remains to be seen.

Missed that part, so he is really tiny.

6. Overnight

Overnight

Of course he's tiny, he put all his eggs into mining stocks in Indonesia, just before his gubment said "Nuh-uh" to whatever he was basing his strategy on. Hehe!

So he's at the same level as I am, just with more rupiah than I have.

Hell, my backtests were great for quite a while too! Then the market changed. Where's my bailout refund money? Oh, it's my own money, I don't get a do-over.

Bloody quants. And he is soooo CONFIDENT his algo will work in the future, he's willing to risk his client funds on it.

What a wanker.

murray t turtle likes this.
  7. d08

d08

Better to risk client funds than your own. I'm sure the Indonesian billionaires will be fine.

murray t turtle and Overnight like this.
  8. fan27

fan27

If you are going automated, you need to know before hand what performance or lack there of will nullify your model(s). If you are within the expected range, put emotions aside and plow through it or find another hobby.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  9. haven't kept up with your thread, how is it going?

#10     Jun 21, 2019
    fan27 likes this.