Alienware PC's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AC3, Jan 9, 2005.

1. uh...
    it can get VERY loud.

the cpu fan is ridiculous.

it all depends on the quality of components.

#21     Jan 9, 2005
  2. My IBM thinkpad is much quiter than my previous laptop, which was an HP pavilion. Noise isn't much a problem because I usually have music playing anyways.

Bronks, you in hawaii? That's awesome. I thought you lived in the Bronks :D I'm in pacific time... hours are horrible. I think I'd rather trade from home, I don't like to brush my teeth either :p kidding.

That friend of mine that built his computer from Frys, he installed this ridiculously sized fan in his pc. The thing was loud... but extremely powerful. He said that it sucked in papers next to his pc and shredded it to bits.

#22     Jan 9, 2005
  3. bronks

bronks

May I have a comparison please (decibels):

0 threshold of hearing
    10 pin dropping at 10 m
    20 soft whisper
    30 library
    40 quiet conversation
    50 normal conversation
    60 a busy office
    70 vacuum cleaner
    80 inside a small car
    90 lawn mower
    100 large orchestra
    110 rock music
    120 boom stereo in car
    130 earphones up loud/ jet plane
    140 air raid siren
    150 military rifle

#23     Jan 9, 2005
  4. TGM

TGM

Ok Andy ---you got me laughing. Here is the one I have seen. I would say hear. But you cannot hear it!!

"Antec Phantom. 350W with active PFC. Fanless design. Extruded aluminum casing. Dedicated output circuits. Dual + 12V output circuits. 2 SATA connectors. ATX 12V v2.0 compliant."

That thing with a Zalman Cpu cooler (whatever that is??--I know it is copper) ---basically makes no sound whatsoever. It is not cheap tho. However, I do not recall it shredding up papers or small children or any such thing. :D

#24     Jan 9, 2005
  5. TGM

TGM

I have heard many older machines in the 80-90 area!! Those old scsi drives winding up are laughably laud. Everybody visiting the office would ask the secretary "what the hell is that?"

#25     Jan 9, 2005
  6. bronks

bronks

Holy crap, that IS loud! OK, I can see how that can be a little bit of a distraction. :)

OT: Did Randy Moss just "moon" the GB fans after his touchdown? I missed it while I was posting.

#26     Jan 9, 2005
  7. taodr

taodr

I built a machine you only know its on when you stick your ear close to it. Maybe Bronks you constantly hear the waves crashing onto rocks. We are not so fortunate.

#27     Jan 9, 2005
  8. comparisons.. my favorite exercise.

Bronks, you are about the noise level of a boom stereo in a car passing by my neighborhood. :D

I'm just teasing... but seriously :p

#28     Jan 9, 2005
  9. My friend has an obnoxious wife. He blames the fan when he doesn't hear her requests. :D

#29     Jan 9, 2005
  10. bronks

bronks

I'd give it up in New York minute to be in a successful trading environment.

This figuring it out for myself shit is very trying.

...two steps forward, three steps back. Two ticks and a cloud of dust.

#30     Jan 9, 2005