Alienware PC's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AC3, Jan 9, 2005.

1. TGM

TGM

An acquaintance of mine had a custom machine built by these guys www.tradersworld.com (Hannikers). They are on the east coast I believe. They have several different options for multi monitors. However, their pricing is not bad for the parts you are getting (IMO).

I have never had them build me a system. But I may. The most impressive thing is how damn quiet the machine is. You cannot hear them run (zahlman fan/cooler??). So far he has not had any trouble whatsoever with the machine (this is unusual for him).

Just thought I would chime in. There are other custom computer manufacturers for traders. But they usually end up being a ripoff. The one above seemed like an ok deal.

#11     Jan 9, 2005
  2. AC3

AC3

Thanks VM apprec the tip on the fan ......... have an emachine currently ...... excellent machine solid performance etc and customer service but a bit loud .... will def look 2 replace the fan.....

#12     Jan 9, 2005
  3. Banjo

Banjo

4. bronks

bronks

Seriously, how loud can a computer be? It amazes me everytime I hear this statement.

#14     Jan 9, 2005
  5. Alienware is good... but a bit expensive. Do you have Fry's Electronics in your area? A friend built a computer from parts they sell there. It was pretty much as good as is it gets, and he spent 1K for it (no monitor)

I've never built one, but it seems rather simple. Now getting the right parts to be compatible is something I don't know. The people at Fry's are very helpful, and they can probably get everything you need.

Also, you didn't mention what type of work you do. If you are doing simple stuff, and have swing/position type trades there is no purpose to spend 3K on a top end computer, unless you want it for gaming as well.

Trading is a business... and a good businessman keeps cost as low as possible, imo.

edit: memory... never hurts to have more than enough memory

#15     Jan 9, 2005
  6. TGM

TGM

Good question. I do not know squat about computers really. I have a Compaq Workstation right near my foot right right now and cannot hear a damn thing! However, I was on a trading desk and you could hear many of the machines. Some are just louder than others. Maybe someone could make a more intelligent analysis of why for you. I have heard old hard drives that sounded like jet planes tho (esp. old scsi's).

Some guys are a fanatical about their machines being super quiet. I am not.

I do not know how many traders you have been around bonk. But I can tell you that traders can be nuts about little things--especially noise. I have seen many computers (mice, monitors, trading turrets etc...) busted up and flying past me for noise violations and other irritating offences. :p

#16     Jan 9, 2005
  7. taodr

taodr

Please, computers can be damn noisy unless of course you are deaf. If one just replaces the case fan (right size of course) with a Nexus the lowered noise level is remarkable. And for less than 20 bucks.

http://www.nexustek.nl/80mmcasefan.htm

#17     Jan 9, 2005
  8. bronks

bronks

Hi TGM,

Well I can understand the idiosyncrasy on the part of traders. I myself don't feel right if my desk is a mess and I haven't brushed my teeth before trading. Actually I haven't been around any traders. It's quite a lonely pursuit here in Hawaii. Not very many wanna wake up at 3:00 AM. I put in an ad in the paper a while back to share office space but had no takers. Not even an inquiring phone call.

taodr,

Damn noisy as compared to what? A toaster? I still don't get it.

#18     Jan 9, 2005
  9. TGM

TGM

Bronks,

You got it made in HA!!! Europe comes on right after all the good prime time shows go off! Trading the US must be traumatic at first.

In regards to computer noise, either you have been around a real noisy one or you have not. When you do come across one. You will see what folks are talking about. Interesting enough, I have seen noticeable difference's in noise level between the same model machines ordered the same damn time from the same company!?!!? Go figure.

#19     Jan 9, 2005
  10. bronks

bronks

Fair enough. I'll reserve my judgement for if and when I run across a loud one.

#20     Jan 9, 2005