Algo Trading ES/NQ Performance Metrics.....which are the best ?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by syswizard, Jan 12, 2019.

1. fan27

fan27

Could you point me to some good resources which further describes what you outlined in your post (books, sites, etc)?

#11     Jan 12, 2019
  2. They

They

Sle,

I am confused, the OP mentioned ES and NQ as his trading instruments. Are you saying that Netfilx replacing Perrigo or adding Goog as the 101st issue wouldn't facilitate an upward bias in the Nas 100 and thus NQ?

I thought the Q-50 was there specifically for this purpose - a proving ground for issues that would eventually replace laggards.

Old NQ stocks never die, they just relist on the NYSE :)

I know you are much more knowledgeable than I.

#12     Jan 12, 2019
  3. #13     Jan 12, 2019
  4. sle

sle

At the level of index mathematics, not really. When the index is calculated, the stock that is being dropped and the stocks that is being added are "sold" and "bought" at the current market price. Imagine a simple index of two stocks (A and B), allocated at 50% each. If we decided to drop A and replace it with C, we would take the value of the index at the time of replacement times the weight of the stock being replaced and swap that dollar value for the new stock.

There is a secondary effect at the stock level which occurs before the actual addition. S&P (or whichever index provider) announces that it's going to swap a stock X for stock Y a little in advance. Since it's expected that all index replicators will rush to sell out of X and buy Y once that change occurs, there is some alpha in putting that trade on before the actual effective date.

#14     Jan 12, 2019
    They likes this.
  5. They

They

Seems like there could be a long term strategy based on buying the index when there are many stocks being added to the index that are from sectors which are accepted to run at higher multiples than the stocks that are being replaced or the average multiples of the index itself.

I wonder what is the shortest length of time a stock has been in the Nas 100 and what its net performance was.

#15     Jan 13, 2019
  6. TommyR

TommyR

You know in options algos, yeah, you need to quickly evaluate functions a bit like, say, N(t^-0.5*v^-1*ln(s/k)+/-0.5^v*t^0.5) where N() is the cumulative normal distribution..or similar functions that look like solutions to parabolic pde's. I found series expansions involving hyperbolic sin/cosin converge very quickly (since only real valued exponentials, computer likes). Is it better to define 'i' as an operator formally and then use that? Has anyone tried/got this? Email me trae88@icloud.com (or @tutanota.com if second name is snowden) if you wanna discuss. Thanks!

#16     Jan 13, 2019
  7. I am curious about the use of algos with options .... I keep thinking most algos are for short-term futures trading.
    1) Which underlying instrument(s) are you using ?
    2) What is the time-frame ?
    3) Average time-in-trade ?
    4) Do the commissions seriously deduct from profits ?
    5) Are you working with delta, gamma, theta, rho to make the trading decisions ?
    TIA.

#17     Jan 13, 2019