Algo programs available primarily to number crunch statistics?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by themickey, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Excel with RTD server to serve historical and realtime data and other custom functions. Can easily handle 2000 stock price metrics as long as your data source does not lock you out or pace you. RTD backend in C#. Excel coupled with custom functions via RTD can easily handle thousands of lines of securities and either static or constantly updating cells.

The requirements you mention here are quite a departure from the original specs you mentioned. It would have helped if you mentioned adding/subtracting/multiplying/...and other basic operations in the first place. By the way, cost and complexity/features are strongly positively correlating, and it really has nothing at all to do with countries. Bit surprised this seems new to you. And a quick glance at Spark does not reveal anything special other than a completely overpriced data platform, and quite a simplistic one at that. How does it allow you to accomplish what you aim to do if cost was not the issue? I see nothing other than a DDE link into Word or Excel. (DDE is the old version of what RTD now accomplishes in Excel much more efficiently and multithreaded).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    #11     Oct 29, 2019
  2. themickey

themickey

Thanks for the heads up on info, I'll look into this and see if I can sort it out.
    My current method of using cloud + googlesheets is ok, but borderline ok, tis slow as it can take several minutes on large data to crunch the formulas. Just a tad inconvenient.
    Spark I know nothing about other than what their blurb spout on about, never seen it or tried it, just from reading I assumed it would do the job I require on ASX.
    Anyhow, thanks again, my quest really is about finding something which can handle what I already do but at faster speed and not being expensive, that's the crux of it, lots of knowledgable & experienced folk here on ET so may as well tap into their suggestions.

#12     Oct 29, 2019
  3. themickey

themickey

What I've found convenient with the Pixelbook cloud way, very fast boot ups, not buggy, don't need to download data, just streams in automatically, data is free and intraday. Good depth of international price and fundamental data.
    Coding is easier with Excel type formulas than AFL (Amibroker formula language).
    Can't do the above with Amibroker and Norgate.
    Besides I don't need charts or indicators, just database.

#13     Oct 29, 2019
  4. themickey

themickey

Google makes the power of BigQuery available in Sheets
    Frederic Lardinois@fredericl / 12:00 am +08 • April 11, 2019
    [​IMG]
    Google today announced a new service that makes the power of BigQuery, its analytics data warehouse, available in Sheets, its web-based spreadsheet tool. These so-called “connected sheets” face none of the usual limitations of Google’s regular spreadsheets, meaning there are no row limits, for example. Instead, users can take a massive data set from BigQuery, with potentially billions of rows, and turn it into a pivot table.

The idea here, is to enable virtually anybody to make use of all the data that is stored in BigQuery. That’s because from the user’s perspective, this new kind of table is simply a spreadsheet, with all of the usual functionality you’d expect from a spreadsheet. With this, Sheets becomes a front end for BigQuery — and virtually any business user knows how to use a spreadsheet.

[​IMG]

This also means you can use all of the usual visualization tools in Sheets and share your data with others in your organization.

“Connected sheets are helping us democratize data,” says Nikunj Shanti, chief product officer at AirAsia. “Analysts and business users are able to create pivots or charts, leveraging their existing skills on massive data sets, without needing SQL. This direct access to the underlying data in BigQuery provides access to the most granular data available for analysis. It’s a game changer for AirAsia.”

The beta of connected sheets should go live within the next few months.

In this context, it’s worth mentioning that Google also today announced the beta launch of BigQuery BI Engine, a new service for business users that connects BigQuery with Google Data Studio for building interactive dashboards and reports. This service, too, is available in Google Data Studio today and will also become available through third-party services like Tableau and Looker in the next few months.

“With BigQuery BI Engine behind the scenes, we’re able to gain deep insights very quickly in Data Studio,” says Rolf Seegelken, senior data analyst at Zalando. “The performance of even our most computationally intensive dashboards has sped up to the point where response times are now less than a second. Nothing beats ‘instant’ in today’s age, to keep our teams engaged in the data!”
    https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/10/google-makes-the-power-of-bigquery-available-in-sheets/

#14     Nov 9, 2019
  5. themickey

themickey

BigQuery

BigQuery is a serverless, highly-scalable, and cost-effective cloud data warehouse with an in-memory BI Engine and machine learning built in.

Try BigQuery free View documentation
    [​IMG]
    BigQuery, Google's serverless, highly scalable enterprise data warehouse, is designed to make data analysts more productive with unmatched price-performance. Because there is no infrastructure to manage, you can focus on uncovering meaningful insights using familiar SQL without the need for a database administrator.

Analyze all your batch and streaming data by creating a logical data warehouse over managed columnar storage, as well as data from object storage and spreadsheets. Create blazing-fast dashboards and reports with the in-memory BI Engine. Build and operationalize machine learning solutions or carry out geospatial analysis using simple SQL. Securely share insights within your organization and beyond as datasets, queries, spreadsheets, and reports. BigQuery’s powerful streaming ingestion captures and analyzes data in real time, ensuring insights are always current. Plus, you can analyze up to 1 TB of data and store 10 GB of data for free each month.
    https://cloud.google.com/bigquery/

#15     Nov 9, 2019