Alert for trades in IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by SanMiguel, Jun 14, 2020.

1. SanMiguel

SanMiguel

What's the best way to go about programming an auto alert in IB based on price, indicators, etc.?
    I want to be alerted but not necessarily take the trade automatically
    I have some programming experience but not sure whether to use their API or something else.
    I would need to brush up on Java or c#. I have PHP and perl experience so maybe it lends itself to Python or c++?

Also, I'm site someone has already coded similar. Are there some resources online to lookup code for IB?

2. goslow

goslow

I'm writing this as someone who uses IB with MultiCharts a lot. If starting fresh, I'd evaluate MultiCharts.Net with IB data, and write indicators/alerts in C#.

3. SanMiguel

SanMiguel

Thanks but I don't want to pay extra charting fees. Prefer to use just the ib API alone.

4. goslow

goslow

One-time fee. From time to time goes on sale.

5. What kind of alert are you looking for? An audio or visual alert, within TWS? Or an email or SMS alert?

6. ZBZB

ZBZB

Have you seen the alerts button on the main screen in TWS at the top? If you do not have it right click on the top ribbon and configure.

7. SanMiguel

SanMiguel

Visual alert.
    Easy example though though this is not what I actually want:
    20 ma crosses 50 ma and RSI < 20 on stock AMZN and no alert was signalled last hour then display a message on screen.
    Maybe send an email also

8. I see. I'm not familiar with the alert settings that TWS provides.

9. d08

d08

Guess you can just monitor price through the API. Then use Qt to display a simple alert window where the messages are displayed. Not overly complicated. Mailing would require a mail server I think, never tried it.

10. SanMiguel

SanMiguel

Any easy how tos or example code?

#10     Jun 15, 2020