Alaska used as a dumping ground for priest rapists

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Apr 6, 2010.

1. http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/the-pedophiles-paradise/Content?oid=1065017

O ne spring afternoon in 1977, 15-year-old Rachel Mike tried to kill herself for the third time. An Alaska Native, Rachel was living in a tiny town called Stebbins on a remote island called St. Michael. She lived in a house with three bedrooms and nine siblings. Rachel was a drinker, depressed, and starving. "When my parents were drinking, we didn't eat right," she says. "I just wanted to get away from the drinking."

Rachel walked to the bathroom to fetch the family rifle, propped in the bathtub with the dirty laundry (the house didn't have running water). To make sure the gun worked, Rachel loaded a shell and blew a hole in her bedroom wall. Her father, passed out on his bed, didn't hear the shot. Rachel walked behind their small house. Her arms were too short to put the rifle to her head, so she shot herself in her right leg instead.
    (more)

Why does the church keep sending these priests, who have come to be such a major liability, back into ministry? "It's all about keeping the stores open, keeping the revenue rolling," Wall says. The Alaskan provinces in particular, Wall says, were a source of revenue—not from the Native population living there, but from parishioners in the lower 48 who were encouraged to donate for the Native ministry up north. "You could raise thousands to fund a mission that cost very little to run," Wall says. "The profit margin is huge."

2. Ricter

Ricter

By far most abused native kids in the far north are abused by a family member. I know, it was once my job to imprison the maladjusted results.

3. Yeah, but that kind of thing doesnt get reported in the newspapers because it doesnt attack the church or religion. Now maybe if the family member claimed to be Christian, it might get a little media coverage, but you will never these media outlets attack their own kind. If the rapist is an atheist, their religion wont be mentioned. Why is that? By far the highest amount of rapists are in the atheist category.

4. Ricter

Ricter

The data indicate that priests as a group have no higher rate of sexual deviance than the general population. But deviant priests get the media attention they do because our expectations of priests are so much greater than for the general population. So it's my belief that the media is not "after" the church, but that their reporting is in proportion to the public's outrage.

Since most of our population self identifies in one religion or another, it follows that, ceteris peribus, the "highest amount of rapists are in the atheist category" would not be true.