Al Quaeda buys gold stocks

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rodden, Nov 20, 2003.

1. rodden

rodden

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe they've been short the whole industry since they caused airline operating expenses to skyrocket 9/11.

There is no economic wall around the free world - and how can any government agency track billions of transactions every day, given that half of them take place outside the U.S. and friends' jurisdiction?

Means. Motive. Opportunity. Who needs iron-clad proof?

Al Qaeda's trading our markets.

#41     Nov 20, 2003
  2. rodden

rodden

Whew! At last - hold off the dogs while I take a break.

#42     Nov 20, 2003
  3. So you will be trading in direct sympathy with Al Queda and Bin Laden. You are preparing to reap financial benefit from more acts of terror.

Sounds rotten, rodden.

#43     Nov 20, 2003
  4. rodden

rodden

Just hoping to survive.

By the way is that gabriel as in Gabriel - the angel? Shouldn't you be playing a harp somewhere instead of trying to beat people for their pension money?

Oh - excuse me, your holiness - of course you only "invest"; you never trade.

#44     Nov 20, 2003
  5. C'mon...there's nothing immoral about doing one's job (speculating) correctly. Better to trade according to objective facts than to ignore terrorism- which certainly does move the markets.

I doubt Al Quaeda was buying golds at yesterdays close, but certainly a trader needs to factor these murderers into any macro plays. I hope all Al-Quaeda would just shrivel up and die, never to be heard from again...but since that is not our present reality, one must trade accordingly.

#45     Nov 20, 2003
  6. rodden

rodden

Well put, RM.

#46     Nov 20, 2003
  7. I took the attempt at quantifying those thoughts. Let's see your attempt.

Chasifina did an excellent job at that in the comment just above yours. Here it is just for clarity:

chasinfla Elite Member Registered: May 2002 Posts: 2749 11-20-03 09:57 AM

if the markets don't tip the hands of the players involved, then a whole lot of traders who have made a whole lot of money over a whole lot of years have been just plain lucky. And the odds certainly don't favor that hypothesis.

It's axiomatic that positions are revealed in market activity.

It is also very likely that terrorists, who don't shy away from attempting to manipulate governments, wouldn't shy away from attempts to manipulate markets for effect and profit.

#47     Nov 21, 2003
  8. rodden

rodden

Yes, Chasinfla said it well, but I'm a trifle miffed that you characterize my own communication as an "attempt" at expressing myself.

Oh, well - in any case, thanks for the input. Have a profitable day.

#48     Nov 21, 2003
  9. rodden

rodden

Actually - in this particular communication you are right.

A belated acknowledgement that I should have conceded your point - and I promise not to indulge in immoderate thread titles any more.

Apologies to you and to all.

#49     Nov 21, 2003