Al Gore: Earth's Interior 'Extremely Hot, Several Million Degrees'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jficquette, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Affirmative

#11     Nov 18, 2009
  2. Tresor

Tresor

I would say another millionaire playing tricks on dumb society.

#12     Nov 18, 2009
  3. Al Gore is a global warming alarmist. He emits more green house gases than 99.99% of humans on the planet. He is a hypocrite.

#13     Nov 18, 2009
  4. There is absolutely nothing wrong or incorrect about what Al Gore says in that interview.

There are in fact pilot plants doing just what he is talking about.

There is a temperature gradient from the surface of the earth to the core and it is of sufficiently large magnitude near the surface to be exploitable for electricity generation.

These idiotic threads are the last refuge of the shockingly scientifically illiterate.

#14     Nov 18, 2009
  5. Ricter

Ricter

This thread is not about geothermal, it's about jumping on a misstatement as an opportunity to bash.

#15     Nov 18, 2009
  6. Simex

Simex

Well, that's incorrect. Gore's done a lot of good raising worldwide awareness of GW. But he should have said "thousands of degrees", not millions.

I agree with everything else you said.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/PhillipChan.shtml

#16     Nov 18, 2009
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Looks like the highest estimate for earth's core temp is just over 13,000 deg F.

Big Al was only off by several million degrees.

Not all that bad considering he's "shockingly scientifically illiterate".

#17     Nov 18, 2009
  8. TGregg

TGregg

LMAO! Look at all the genius libtards coming out of the woodwork to defend their idol on a flat out ludicrous statement. The temp at the surface of the Sun isn't even millions of degrees.

Guess Algore could say that temps on the surface of the Earth has risen trillions of degrees and these bozos would agree.

This bunch of retards should well demonstrate just how damn stupid liberalism really is.

#18     Nov 18, 2009
  9. MBA is a lazy man's degree. MBA Is a joke among graduate degrees. Many people wonder out loud whether it is necessary at all. People with JDs (lawyers) can be CEOs but people with MBAs can't be lawyers (unless they get a jd too)

N.B Gore's mistake was not on the essence of the subject but on scale. Earth's core is extremely hot, so hot we can't drill to it because it would melt any metal or alloy currently known, it is not millions of degrees but is thousands. Was he wrong? yes, but it would have been a bigger mistake to say "earth's core is very cold because it is dark out there". I would expect Sarah Palin to say something like that.

#19     Nov 18, 2009
  10. Simex

Simex

I question whether posting a lot in this Politics and Religon Forum is good for you. You post is insulting and has some sweeping and ridiculous generalisations. I'll also include Lucrum in this, for his/her getting so worked up about Gore's obvious mis-statement.

If this was real-life, and you asked Gore for a clarification, you know he'd say that he simply mis-spoke and meant thousands-but with being on stage, or busy/distracted/thinking the next thing to say, said the wrong thing. That's the mature outcome. Instead, you do something you'd never do IRL, laugh and insult online in an immature way someone who has done a heck of a lot of good for the US over the years, much more than you will ever do.

Note: I have specifically focused on your post, not yourself. You came with the insults-bozos, libtards. Maybe you need to change this pattern of clinging to your beliefs and insulting all others.

Just so you know, I usually agree with conservatives on politics and finance, but tend not to as regards the environment and human mis-management of it. This doesn't mean that any other group is perfectly right either. There's a lot to be said for working through issues by yourself, finding how things are concurrently right and wrong.

#20     Nov 18, 2009