Aircards for wireless trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 643, Jun 30, 2008.

1. 643

Has anyone had good results using aircards(as opposed to being at an internet cafe) for short-term daytrading? I am wondering about connectivity to streaming data and fast execution. Any advice would be very useful. thanks

2. I use my Verizon one as a back-up and when on the road. Seems to handle fine.

3. I live in an area where I can't get cable or DSL internet. So I use the sprint aircard with unlimited data. I trade index futures every day and live off my trading, so yes it is viable. The only problem I have is it will disconnect every so often, but I can reconnect within 10 seconds. Also, there is a slight lag. If you trade for larger moves, say 2-5 ES points at a time, there's no problem. I wouldn't suggest trying to scalp ticks off it.

4. esmjb

esmjb

ive traded off an aircard and dont recommend it for scalping ticks which is what i do. it will disconnect occasionally, perhaps a few times a day at most. a normal ping time over my DSL line to my office in chicago from LA is 80ms whereas with the aircard its about 160ms and can range up to 1000ms. its good for back up purposes.

5. I use an AT&T card. Do not try to scalp futures with it.