Air Card for laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monee, Dec 17, 2009.

1. I've had an aircard through Sprint for years as a backup for office broadband. I can use it for the desktop or laptop, and use it extensively on vacations. $70 plus taxes and fees (comes to about $100 a month) is about right.

I don't use a desktop for trading, unless the laptop is having a bad day.

I tried another company's card some years ago and their coverage stank for my area, so I sent them the card back, and they charged me only for the shipping and the number of days I used their card (1 day, long enough to figure out it was worthless to me).

#21     Dec 18, 2009
  2. Not sure how you came up with that. 1G = 1000MB. So if in fact you're using 58 MB per day, you be getting just under 20 days per gigabyte. You have 5G's.

Frankly I'm surprised to hear that he's only using 58 MBs. I would have thought it would have been higher. I've never used mine in that manner, so I don't really know.

OldTrader

#22     Dec 18, 2009
  3. deaddog

deaddog

Bad math:D .. You should see my trading results. That's why I never post them.

Verizon offers a pay as you go card 500MB for $50.

What I'm looking for is something I can hook into for a cople hours a day. Do a couple quick scans, place a trade, check e-mail etc.

I'll only need a month or 2 so don't want to have a contract.

#23     Dec 18, 2009
  4. Syprik

Syprik

Use an ATT BlackBerry Bold tethered to workstation as 3rd backup.

1- Comcast Business (~30mb/s)
    2- Qwest DSL (7mb/s)
    3- ATT 3G BB Tether via *TetherBerry* application (0.8-1.3mb/s, 310ms latency)

TetherBerry is an excellent app, $25 or $50 one time fee, depending if you catch a sale. Was a no brainer to select the $25 one-time vs $30 monthly to use AT&T tether capability. Tetherberry shows up as regular phone data usage on carrier side. ATT has 5GB per month limit.

Bold 3G tethered runs IB TWS and MFGlobal TT just fine for emergency purposes. After some test drills, it's about 35 secs from losing both cable and dsl to being live in TWS on 3G tether.

#24     Dec 21, 2009