Air Card for laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monee, Dec 17, 2009.

1. I do see that plan available right now. The problem is that 4G only exists right now in certain cities. Mine isn't one of those. But I'm looking forward to it.

OldTrader

#11     Dec 18, 2009
  2. BSAM

BSAM

Yeah, I hear you. The good news is that since Sprint has made this move, it will likely force all the others to follow. I figured this would happen sooner or later.

#12     Dec 18, 2009
  3. A friend of mine is IT Director for one of the largest counties in the USA. He has had his laptop on a Sprint aircard for over ten years. Back when he first got his, he benchmarked just shy of DSL speeds (over 100 mbps) and that was long before any "2G, 3G, etc.). Feel free to ask the sales person at Sprint what the datarate would be in your area. S/he's going to tell you "well there are no minimums promised, but in your area we have "x-G" and that usually runs from this speed to that speed.

The thing more then speed is connectivity. There are still some dead zones in the land of cell phones. That's the only problem I have seen people have with wireless broadband cards. As long as you get a strong cellular signal, it should work great for a redundant data connection in case your system, or the building it's in, blows up.

Most also have a 30 or 60 day period where you can test it and return it if it does not fit the intended purpose. Surprisingly I have seen people get out of contracts when they move to a place where cell phones just don't work which is common on islands away from populated areas.

#13     Dec 18, 2009
  4. deaddog

deaddog

How much data do you use per month?

I am planning on doing the snowbird thing in the Yuma area and am looking for ways to acces the internet.

#14     Dec 18, 2009
  5. I don't know. I will have to check a past bill and see if it states it. All I know is that I log on about 7:30 and log off at 4:15 every work day. Today my modem says it used 58 mb. for the day.

#15     Dec 18, 2009
  6. deaddog

deaddog

Do you have a data feed from a broker coming in?
    I use IB with quote tracker for charting.

#16     Dec 18, 2009
  7. I use NinjaTrader with zenfire through Amp Futures.

#17     Dec 18, 2009
  8. deaddog

deaddog

So I might get 8 to 10 days out of a $50 card. I'll have to see what is available when I get dowm there.

Thanks for the info.

DD

#18     Dec 18, 2009
  9. deaddog

deaddog

So I might get 8 to 10 days out of a $50 card. I'll have to see what is available when I get dowm there.

Thanks for the info.

DD

#19     Dec 18, 2009
  10. xxxskier

xxxskier Guest

#20     Dec 18, 2009