AHG - Profitable Strategy for Struggling Traders

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Anekdoten, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffm

jeffm

A 3 period sma is so fast that it almost sits at the middle of every bar, even if it is shifted right by 1 bar. The shifted SMA notion came about from the 'simple profitable' thread. If I recall, the ma there was a 9 period sma shifted right by 3 bars. This is a much more useful reference, imo.

In a downtrend, price pulls back and starts to form another LH, then you can look for your entry when price crosses or closes below the 9sma+3. These crosses match up nicely with stoch crosses, and they keep your eye on prices instead of another indicator.

Kudos to Anekdoten and others for a thoughtful, generous and educational discussion!

#531     Aug 14, 2007
  2. monti1a

monti1a

Anek..actually, I don't use that canned Tradestation showme...I simply "eyeball" the chart...the default setting can, however, be adjusted....

Symmetrical triangles appear to show up easily (FOR ME) on the 15 minute and 7 minute BAR chart....and I emphasize BAR CHART....place both charts side by side....They appear more clearly on bar charts (FOR ME) than Candlestick charts.

Also, they tend to form when the market quiets down..

On a side note....very nice thread you have here....

#532     Aug 14, 2007
  3. Thank you for suggestion and kind words.

Anek

#533     Aug 14, 2007
  4. No shame in small losses!

Keep practicing.

Anek

#534     Aug 14, 2007
  5. jetbird

jetbird

Anek,

I grew up on Sammy, 51/50 still rocks. :) I would be surprised if they actually complete the tour.

Your entries often are excellent. If you could shed some light on how you can consistenly enter at the right time I would appreciate it.

1. Do you sometimes pick a price to buy/sell based on 50% retracement percentage if it lines up well with a pivot/trendline?

2. You mentioned before that you read tape. Are you entering the market sometimes based on time and sales action on a retracement?

3. Do you ever place stop market orders above/below resistance(on a retracement) to enter the market?

4. Do you use a smaller timeframe (tick/volume) chart to identify when to enter the market?

thanks!

#535     Aug 14, 2007
  6. monti1a

monti1a

Razor...you should also probably focus on the old adage "let your profits run"....

A metric that I use is that if I am not profitable after 10 trades, then I'm doing something wrong, and 8 times out of 10, it is because I'm not letting my profits run....

I don't know if you are doing this or not...but the absolute worse thing a trader can do is sell a large part of his position at a close profit target (ex., 4, 5, 6 ticks)....trust me..it's a zero sum to losing game....the money is made on the large winners

#536     Aug 14, 2007
  7. Wise words.

#537     Aug 14, 2007
  8. VH did some good music with Sammy but some stuff I could do without. The Roth era was amazing, I welcome the reunion with all my heart.

1) Yes absolutely, anticipate that with limit orders. Sometimes I miss it sometimes I get it. If I miss it I never ever chase it.

2) I examine where the pressure is located, no doubt. Time and Sales helps.

3) Absolutely, especially on symmetric triangles and consolidation breakouts. Many times I place the short AND the long stop orders at the same time.

4) I use two charts for ES. 5000 shares or 610 tick, been comparing lately. On top of that I use a 240 min chart for bigger picture orientation.

Friend of mine has been using AHG with CCI for entries, look into that, it might help.

Hope it helps.

Anek

#538     Aug 14, 2007
  9. GaryN

GaryN

Anec

Do you have the dynamic s/r code in an eld file? The charting I am using will import TS easylanguage files but Im not sure how to just put it in there with the code you posted awhile back.

#539     Aug 15, 2007
  10. Here you go.

Anek

#540     Aug 15, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.