AHG - Profitable Strategy for Struggling Traders

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Anekdoten, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cx,

Since you are going to be paper trading how about you examine both and you decide. As far as tick or volume based bars, you can't go wrong there.

Anek

#351     Aug 8, 2007
  2. Quick question out of curiousity Anekdote. Why not just trade the etf SPY instead of trading the ES? Any other reasons other than futures accounts require less money?

#352     Aug 9, 2007
  3. The difference is so monstrous, I will actually let you research this on your own, so you can say "AHHHHH!"

:)

Anek

#353     Aug 9, 2007
  4. dinoman

dinoman

If its so monsterous please enlighten us. I find it hard to find thats there a monsterous difference, unless your refering to the fact that the emini trades in quarters and the spy trades in pennies.

Please explain!

#354     Aug 9, 2007
  5. Well, you gave the joke away Dino!

Anek

#355     Aug 9, 2007
  6. Eh, I guess that leaves it at more leverage, taxes, lower commissions and possibly more precise consistency of stop fills.

AHHHHH..... :p :p :p

#356     Aug 9, 2007
  7. Aside from leverage the spread is possibly the biggest difference that and the around the clock nature of futures.

A market order is actually better on SPY, depending on # of shares of course, .01 vs possible 12.50

Anek

#357     Aug 9, 2007
  8. Yeah I figured the open hours of the futures market was part of the reasoning. Well... until i can figure out something else to pick your brain with i'll sit back and continue to enjoy the oustanding thread. Good trading!!!

Cx~

#358     Aug 9, 2007
  9. Cx,

Imagine you are swing trading and something catastrophic happens at 3AM in the morning. Futures give you the option to bail or solidify your position if you are on the right side. In equities or ETFs you would need to wait til pre-market opens to decide. They even give you the option to hedge if you got investments. They are simply more flexible.

As a very aggressive averaging up trader when things go my way, and panic hits the market hard the massive leverage provided by futures allows me to keep averaging up if the trend continues. In SPY I would be limited to 4X, least last time I checked. That to me is priceless for my particular style of trading.

Anek

#359     Aug 9, 2007
  10. Ya that is another awesome point! I don't intend to hold SPY or es mini for swings though, basically just your typical 9:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. EST. I'll leave the swings++ for building wealth in equities.

~Cx

#360     Aug 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.