Ah how can i be so stupid! :)

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by affan, Oct 4, 2008.

1. if it opens down 300 points you are finished bro.

#11     Oct 4, 2008
  2. Surdo

Surdo

The simulator is not as strict with capital!

#12     Oct 4, 2008
  3. affan

affan

I usually only trade 1-2 contracts! rarely i trade 3. Plus this trade i had a tight stop 15 point stop with a total loss of 2% of account. But still i agree i should not have traded 3 contracts!

I have no idea why my positions were not closed. Maybe because i have other accounts with tradestation? my accounts are linked with one platform and the combined total should easily cover margin requirements, not sure though if thats why.

I will paste a big -4k sign on my monitor so to never make this mistake again and ofcourse use some kind of OCO!

#13     Oct 4, 2008
  4. don't sell yourself short..

i'm sure you can be more stupid than this. :D

#14     Oct 4, 2008
  5. Shit like this happens .. you just have to pay extra attention to details. I usually use OCO orders and also hit the "Cancel All" button whenever I leave (w/o positions) or I know there shouldn't be any orders.

Your main objective now is to get out w/o further losses. Log in for Sunday night open. Hope market doesn't gap down Sunday night given the weak close.

#15     Oct 4, 2008
  6. Sorry to hear about your problem.

At least you know what to do, I remember the time I could not accept the loss and the red kept growing as I was fully aware of my losing position.

Now, that's the real sin.

Daniel

#16     Oct 4, 2008
  7. I've done the same thing a dozen times. I'm usually trading a few different markets so it's easy to forget. 20 years of ganja use doesn't help either....:p

#17     Oct 4, 2008
  8. donnap

donnap

:D Why do you think they call it dope? :D

OP, sounds like this has happened to many folks including me.

#18     Oct 4, 2008
  9. Actually the markets are due for a sharp rebound.

If you have other accounts and can wait it out, there's a possibility that you can see this trade move back into the green (yep, this and plenty of other crap has happened to me also).

#19     Oct 4, 2008
    #20     Oct 4, 2008