AGP and PCI need advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arnie, Mar 7, 2006.

1. gnome

gnome

Should be OK so long as it's NOT a 3rd-party card. You don't want it to be anything other than *genuine* ATI to use in a multi-card setup.... no HIS, Sapphire, Best or any other 3rd party maker. You don't want the box to say *powered by ATI/Radeon*.... 3rd party card driver issues can be a real mess in multi-card.

#11     Mar 7, 2006
  2. Arnie

Arnie

kowboy and gnome,

would I be better off just getting a new quad head card? I run LCD's (Dell, not HD). Seems like I could end up spending money on another PCI card and still not have it work right. Thanks.

#12     Mar 7, 2006
  3. gnome

gnome

A quad is going to be very expensive unless you get one used off of eBay.

Adding a card is not a problem so long as you avoid known troubles. I'm currently running 3 cards + TV tuner. I've run 4 cards before too.

#13     Mar 7, 2006
  4. i bot a computer with a built in ATI X300... I ran it successfully with my dual head nvidia 5200 PCI before for a total of 3 screens.

then I bot another PCIe nvidia 6600gt to fill the gap & had the onboard ATI turned off...

so it is possible to run two different brand of video cards together.

#14     Mar 7, 2006
  5. Arnie

Arnie

I've looked everywhere and I can not find an ATI PCI dual head card. :confused:

#15     Mar 7, 2006
  6. #16     Mar 7, 2006
  7. Arnie

Arnie

#17     Mar 7, 2006
  8. Arnie

Arnie

What if I just swap out and get 2 Nvidia cards? It's either that or I have to get a new MB with PCI Express slots. This is a real cluster f***:mad:

#18     Mar 7, 2006
  9. my mistake... i didnt know newegg sell mac stuff...

anyway... this is where you should change your brand loyalty.

#19     Mar 7, 2006
  10. gnome

gnome

Easiest and least costly... add 2 Xpert128 PCI singlehead cards, if you have 2 PCI slots open.

#20     Mar 7, 2006