Aggressive people are better traders !!!

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by HATEtheRisk, Sep 2, 2011.

1. I don't think anyone I know would ever call my personality "aggressive" -- quite the contrary.

But in terms of trading I have an affinity for risk that's somewhat above average, say bordering on stupid. The swings in p/l, especially when I'm trying to breakthrough to the next plateau, would make many sick to see.

But I truly believe to properly trade at any level, you need to learn to ignore the figures and not make them so "precious" -- that is, learn to lose it first before you can really earn the right to keep it. That's always been the way it's worked for me.

I think many here are underestimating the necessity for genuine humility when it comes to longevity in this business, aggressiveness is useful at times for sure but can also lead easily to ruin.

#51     Sep 10, 2011
  2. HAHA

Quite a stupid topic :p

I'd say:

Aggressive people are aggressive traders.
    Good people are good traders.

Isn't it easy?

Let's collect some more stereotypes:

Aggressive people are impatient.
    Impatience makes you lose as a trader.
    Impatient (aggressive) traders are therefore losers.

Good people are patient.
    Patient people are patient traders.
    Patient traders are unemotional and cool.
    Patient, unemotional and cool traders make money, therefore they are good traders.
    Therefore good people are good traders.

That said, aggressive people make excellent traitors.

P.S. I am being very serious :D :D

#52     Sep 10, 2011
  3. This is the beauty of trading.
    Trading is soooo simple and easy.
    Just get high on cocaine, than you get arrogant and immensly sef-confident.
    So you can only win -- can't you? :cool:

#53     Sep 10, 2011
  4. HTmarket

HTmarket

This thing about aggressive is pretty funny. Maybe you watched too many movies.

#54     Sep 10, 2011
  5. I don't think aggression in trading is the same as being an arrogant asshole in life. Yeah arrogant assholes tend to be aggressive/persistent types, but I don't think the converse is true.

Just look at guys like Nadal and Federer. They are class acts off the court, but nobody can doubt their aggression on the court. Then there's guys like Djokovic who probably does come across as an asshole off the court too.

I think the arrogant types justify their behavior by rationalizing that being a dick helps them in their professional lives, but that's just what someone arrogant would do. Instead of trying to be a better person, they convince themselves that there's nothing wrong and nothing to improve with themselves.

#55     Sep 10, 2011
  6. With that being said, aggression (not arrogance), is definitely a positive attribute to have in trading. There are so many analogies between trading and poker and it's definitely becoming too cliche, but all the great poker players are known for their aggression. Great traders are harder to come by and trading records are shrouded in secrecy and are never verifiable so can't speak directly to that.

#56     Sep 10, 2011
  7. ha. yeah. markets decimate immoral people eventually, because immoral people are inherently ignorant.

Let us know how you do.

#57     Sep 10, 2011
  8. great traders are controlled psychopaths

#58     Sep 10, 2011
  9. if you assume that less than 1% of participants consistently make outsized returns, then one must conclude they aren't normal people.

#59     Sep 10, 2011
  10. arrogance and aggression have little correlation with outsized profits because trading is 100% mental. many people lose aggressively. high iq paired with lack of emotion does correlate with profitability. a great trader isn't being aggressive because aggression is an emotion and emotion is self sabotage. great traders make cos they are acting without emotion to the risk/reward and do so unconsciously. i think you know what i mean, that guy who's printing millions at the prop firm is that quiet dude who sits there like a serial killer.

tennis involves the physical animal side which requires aggression and endorphin secretion at times to out muscle someone.

#60     Sep 10, 2011