Again, What Were the Benefits of Locking Down?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by easymon1, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Callousness is required to obtaining an accurate number and a true risk profile to the general public who are healthy. The only numbers I care about and have any real meaning are exactly how many who have died had zero risk profile in regard to health. Using that metric we would have to eliminate every single person in a nursing home. Numbers show that reflects nearly 50 percent of the deaths. Next up are those with serious preexisting conditions who are at risk of a varity of illnesses other than Covid which can kill them. They too must be eliminated from the total number to get an actaul assessment of risk to healthy people.
    I don't know what number that is, but I'm sure those doing the counting know. Why isn't it being very publicly and consistently being told to us as the total death rate is? If we are to move forward with some plan of action then that number is extremely important as to how aggressively we quarantine people and businesses. The mortality rate for healthy changes drastically when you throw out all the rest who were at elevated risk to begin with.
    First we were told millions would die, then it was several hundred thousand, now it's 132K over a 4 month stretch and far less than half of those were otherwise healthy people. Probably 20 to 30K at most were healthy and not in a high risk category.
    What I'm saying and to the point of the thread, that number does not warrant a national shutdown. Never did. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with their initial decision to do so because there were so many unknowns. Several months later and a hell of alot more real data, it is painfully obvious that a continuing shutdown is unnecessary and brings more risk than the virus itself.

#31     Jul 9, 2020
  2. Sig

Sig

So the answer is no, then, to your ability to read my carefully reasoned explanation of excess deaths.

The technique I explained that you either ignored or are incapable of comprehending is how scientists determine how to get to the number you asked for because it's the most objective way to do so. This mythical "zero risk profile in regards to health" number is something you made up and is meaningless. Obesity is a risk factor, 40% of Americans are obese. Being over 60 is a risk factor, 20% of Americans are over 60. Smoking is a risk factor, 15% of Americans smoke. Having a blood type other than O is a risk factor, 57% of Americans have a blood type other than O. I could go on and on and on, but at this point hopefully it's clear even to you that "zero risk profile in regards to health" is so vanishingly small that it really only applies to children for this disease and is therefore meaningless. And yes, children aren't dying at high rates, so if we used your criteria, then COVID is no problem, yay!

#32     Jul 9, 2020
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  3. Yawn. Risk to otherwise healthy adults is a statistical zero and you don't want to admit it. Fact is a healthy adult has more risk of dying in a car accident than from Covid, yet we'll all get in our cars and drive today knowing many will die because we want the convenience of driving. We make calloused decisions like this everyday about a multitude of things. According to your standards we would be in a constant state of lockdown because someone might die.

#33     Jul 9, 2020
  4. Sig

Sig

I don't think you're incapable of reading, so you must willfully be deciding that you're not going to read my carefully described, very specific answers to your questions? That's a pretty asshole move, is it not?

If there's anything incorrect in my last 5 posts to you, I'd welcome hearing about the specifics. If not, and the fact that you haven't been able to point out any inaccuracies would tend to indicate you don't have any, then they're a pretty devastating repudiation of everything you've said. Clearly the thought of that makes you so uncomfortable that you resort to the 5 year old tactic of closing your eyes, putting your hands over your ears, and yelling "I'm not listening". Not sure what you're hoping to accomplish with that, are you?

#34     Jul 9, 2020
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  5. Tirion

Tirion

Have nice results.

#35     Jul 11, 2020
  6. Despite the lockdown, there had been certain advantages, for example, less pollution, concern towards your health, Calculating lost hobbies, Family time, and yet many others.

#36     Jul 17, 2020