Ag trade ideas

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by TraDaToR, Aug 24, 2014.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

According to the Hightower report, it wouldn't take much crop worries to drive the expected next crop stocks/use ratio from 13% expected to 7%...

#431     Mar 24, 2015
    thefuturestrader likes this.
  2. xandman

xandman

Anybody tracking the big reversal in the June/July Hog spread?

upload_2015-3-24_14-45-25.png

#432     Mar 24, 2015
  3. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

U/V @ 35 and Z/F @ 0. Last call for alcohol here...;)

#433     Mar 25, 2015
  4. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

The volume spike is impressive...

#434     Mar 25, 2015
  5. That LEM:N15 spread is textbook mean reversion. That spread got out to a standard deviation or 2 away from the mean, and someone jumped in with some decent volume and brought it back. Very interesting.

#435     Mar 25, 2015
  6. xandman

xandman

I'm not really sure what's keeping hogs down. Last I looked, the cattle/hog spread has gone thru the roof.

I guess the substitution is a sign of a good economy. Meats are more optimistic than the stock market it seems.

#436     Mar 25, 2015
  7. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Apparently( Common explanation around ) we have an oversupply of hogs at a time when exports are struggling because of the strong dollar. One thing is sure I won't try to catch that bottom a second time...LOL

#437     Mar 26, 2015
    xandman likes this.
  8. I was talking to the owner of a feed mill in rural NE, and he had heard that some are worried that the hog market could absolutely fall apart in the middle of 2016. I asked him the reasoning, and he was saying they are predicting a massive oversupply. This is the first I've really heard of this, not really sure as to the reasoning behind it.

#438     Mar 26, 2015
    FCXoptions and xandman like this.
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Out @ 29.49. Another loser. It went straight to my stop. As Rachmaninov said, those same product spreads based on correlation shouldn't be done in the last month before expiry. Lesson learned.:(

#439     Mar 27, 2015
    Rachmaninov likes this.
  10. xandman

xandman

agree. might as well trade outright

#440     Mar 27, 2015