Ag trade ideas

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by TraDaToR, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Yeah, that cattle spread has held together despite the volatility today. Knocked off around $9.40 though. Should be interesting to see what happens next week.

#381     Mar 13, 2015
  2. I'm wondering if that sept/dec wheat trade is going to come back closer to carry again.

Feeder/Live cattle I am watching both April and August to see if it will pullback some from this recent run up.

#382     Mar 13, 2015
  3. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I am curious about Feeders/fats too going into spring? What's your take, guys?

#383     Mar 16, 2015
  4. Here's an excerpt from a cattle update, take it for what it is:

CATTLE

- Cattle trade waited until Friday to get going as packers resisted paying up for cattle and feedlots held for higher money. By the end of the day, it looked like trade was very light at mostly steady money in the south, and steady to up $1.00 in the north. Volumes were light enough in all locations that we hesitate to even call a trend. Only about 5 thsd head traded in the south at mostly $161.00 live. In the north, live trade ranged $161.00-$163.50 live and $258-$260 dressed. With kill/cut margins back in the red, packers were determined not to pay up in most cases. Many feedlots resisted the steady bids; however, noting that cattle numbers are tightening and the best demand of the year is just ahead of the market. Packers reduced slaughter sharply last week after margins fell back down into the red. Slaughter was just 524 thsd head, 13 thsd head fewer than the previous week and down 8.7% from the same week last year. Continued heavy cattle weights resulted in beef production that was down just 5.9% from last year.

#384     Mar 16, 2015
    TraDaToR likes this.
  5. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I don't like that correction on LE Apr/Jun...

#385     Mar 16, 2015
  6. -GFQ15/+LEQ15 @ 66.325

This is a paper trade, just following along to learn this spread better. I am thinking it will pullback some from the recent run up

There is a decent possibility it will just pullback slightly and explode right on up more though, so we will see.

upload_2015-3-16_11-40-26.png

#386     Mar 16, 2015
  7. Yeah, the LEJ/M hit resistance at $9.40 on Friday. The question is whether that $8.20 area will provide some support.

#387     Mar 16, 2015
  8. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Seriously I don't what I will do with this one...

BULL : - It's a retracement on former resistance, hopefully the new support.
    - Cash is still at 6$ premium compared to around 1$ normally, but I haven't done any statistical research on convergence near expiration( I don't have historical cash cattle prices ).

BEAR: - This downward movement was too strong to be a correction.
    - The spread crashed way more than outrights today( it looks like large positions are rolled )...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    #388     Mar 16, 2015
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Here it is. Scratched( almost ) half of my position here @ 8.150. Now that I am lighter, I will perhaps be able to analyze better ...LOL

#389     Mar 16, 2015
  10. Noob question, but how do you get cash prices in LC/LE/FC ?

#390     Mar 17, 2015