Ag trade ideas

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by TraDaToR, Aug 24, 2014.

1. The reasoning behind that is anticipating April to pull towards spot more strongly than June, causing the spread to grow, right?

#301     Mar 2, 2015
    TraDaToR likes this.
  2. You know, that spread is a weird one. It did make a move up, but is somewhat stalled out around $8. My very incomplete quantitative analysis of that spread seems to indicate that the spread is somewhat mean reverting. I wouldn't be surprised to see a pullback to around $7.30 or so. If it did get down to $6.60, might be a good entry point to play it even back up to the top side of the range.

#302     Mar 2, 2015
    FCXoptions and TraDaToR like this.
  3. Are any of you all following the Feeder Cattle/Live cattle spreads? Kind of surprising to see how far off some of the spreads are from the prior 2 years data.

I am seeing some possibilities for mean reversion trades. The spreads do seem pretty far off from historical data for the past few years though.

upload_2015-3-2_14-51-27.png

#303     Mar 2, 2015
    thefuturestrader likes this.
  4. FCX, you got it right. The cash trade between the packers and the feedlots was around $159 to $160, a premium of around $8 to the LEJ contract. That gap narrowed today on the around $2 rise in the futures. There was a huge gap between the front month on the feeder cattle contract and the feeder index in January. It looked almost too good to be true, and although the spread was volatile as the contract went towards expiration, there was some money to be had there. Thus, we have been paying attention more to these spreads.

#304     Mar 2, 2015
    TraDaToR and FCXoptions like this.
  5. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Long Jul/Short Aug soymeal @ 1.4. Resistance turned support + Seasonals + Brazil strike...The target should be lower than recent history though as soy supply is plentiful.

#305     Mar 3, 2015
    thefuturestrader and FCXoptions like this.
  6. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Greenie, what do you think about cocoa right now as you seem to be focused on softs?

#306     Mar 3, 2015
  7. Greenie

Greenie

If i had to trade it, I like the N-U spread as a short but I think there are better opportunities. I do have a few other trades going on, short the sep-dec wheat spread for one and some livestock spreads. Was also looking at going long meal july outright. I see that you are already in it.

#307     Mar 3, 2015
  8. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I am just wondering what cocoa outrights will do in 2015 after the recent bullish turn...I am already short Sep/Dec and looking at further spreads...

I am short Sep/Dec wheat as well like you, I posted it somewhere.

#308     Mar 3, 2015
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Out @ 1.25/1.5.:)

#309     Mar 3, 2015
  10. Tradator, I followed you on the soymeal spread. Looked into it some lastnight and liked it so I entered as well. I got in at 1.4 also. I didn't expect an immediate fill because the spread showed 1.3/1.5 but it immediately filled so worked for me.

On the Sept/Dec wheat spread you all are discussing, to confirm I am thinking correctly on both of your reasoning: You are anticipating Sept to pull down to spot more strongly than Dec and to go to full carry, right?

Hope you all don't mind confirming these things. I just want to make sure I truly am understanding the plays.

#310     Mar 3, 2015