Ag trade ideas

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by TraDaToR, Aug 24, 2014.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Long OJ U/X/F butterfly @ -0.55.

- Quite low.
    -Weird curve for the season.
    - Hurricane lottery ticket.

#1901     Aug 6, 2018
  2. kanellop

kanellop

#1902     Aug 8, 2018
    TraDaToR likes this.
  3. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Long ZM Q19/U19 @ 0.3.

-US/China Trade war may increase demand in soymeal during the coming season. Oil World says China will have to turn to US supplies of soybeans soon, but they may as well start importing more soymeal ( from Argentina most likely )instead of crushing it at home.

- Low historically.

#1903     Aug 8, 2018
  4. kanellop

kanellop

#1904     Aug 9, 2018
    TraDaToR likes this.
  5. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Following friday's debacle, MW has lost ground to Feed wheat. It's pretty much back to my entry price at 18$/T premium feed wheat.

#1905     Aug 13, 2018
  6. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Went Long KW H19/K19 @ -12.

-Near historical full carry( but VSR now )
    -Near H18/K18 levels whereas Stocks to use is much smaller this year
    -12% + protein will be in shortage at the end of the season
    -Contango too deep compared to May/Jul19 intercrop spread

#1906     Aug 14, 2018
  7. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Out @ -17.25 on MW U18/Z18. One tick gain. Definitely not what I expected...:(

#1907     Aug 20, 2018
  8. Trader13

Trader13

If you wanted to hedge the curvature risk on this spread, how would you do it? Options or another futures spread?

#1908     Aug 20, 2018
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

The shape of H/K is directly linked to the "jump" between K old crop and N new crop. The bigger the jump is, the more you are likely to see H/K flat or even inverted, independently from the level of actual stocks. On the other side, Z/H is purely a storage and stocks play, so IMO the most straightforward way to eliminate the curvature risk is to make a +H-2*K+N butterfly. The risk is that the intercrop spread get even bigger because of the current shape of wheat crops around the globe( Think Russia, Australia, Germany ), but they are close to being fully harvested and wheat is already expensive. So it might be a good idea.

I chose to simply do the H/K because it is close to historical carry( VSR can go further but...) and the world will lack 12% protein soon ( according to a "physical" friend ).

I don't trade options, so I don't know if there are some better way to hedge using them.

#1909     Aug 20, 2018
    Trader13 likes this.
  10. Trader13

Trader13

That's a great explanation of your rationale for the fly. Thanks!

#1910     Aug 20, 2018