afterhours shorting

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vladiator, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Are there any special requirements for shorting in afterhours trading? Besides the regular uptick etc.
    Thanks.

2. there is no uptick rule afterhours, also know alot of bids and offers disapper quickly, and the futures close for a half hour
    between 4:15- 4:45 est

3. Eldredge

Eldredge

Actually, even the uptick rule doesn't apply. The only rule is "be careful", liquidity usually is low, and you can get a trade for $1 more or less than you had in mind (or even worse) because of bids that are $1 off (and I don't think you can bust a trade),the spreads tend to be big, sometimes there are quote problems, and once a bid/offer is gone the next one might be a LONG way away (don't use market orders). I do it - it works fine with my style, but be careful. Good luck.

4. no special rules for shorting afterhours and no uptick rule either.

5. Thanks to all of you guys for your insights. I had a feeling that the uptick didn't apply but wasn't entirely sure. What you all said was exactly what I was hoping to hear :cool:

6. Thanks, Eldredge. Of course I wouldn't use market orders :D
    Actually, I think TradeStation only allows limit orders when the mkts are closed.

7. mjt

mjt

I'm not sure, but I think listed stocks still need an uptick after hours. On a few occassions I have tried to short listed after hours, and my offer was changed to a penny above the best bid.

8. Listed shorts in afterhours have no uptick rule.They just have to be done at a price at least a penny higher than the closing price,unless the closing price was on an uptick;then you can short it at the closing price or higher.Nasdaq stocks can be shorted at any price,higher or lower from the closing price,and also have no uptick rule during afterhours.This is what someone told me,so if i'm wrong,anyone may correct me.