After two years, Trump's tax cuts have failed Americans

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Frederick Foresight, Dec 22, 2019.

1. https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/20/perspectives/trump-tax-cuts/index.html

This month marks the two-year anniversary of President Trump's major legislative accomplishment: his rewrite of the tax code. As we head into the election year, you can bet that taxes and the economy will be topics of debate. President Trump will, no doubt, want voters to give him credit for his tax law, which he promised would lead to more investment, more jobs, higher wages and faster growth.

But none of those promises have been fulfilled. From a purely economic standpoint, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 has been an enormous flop.
    Let's start with jobs. Has the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act created millions of new jobs, as was promised? In a word, no. In the four years prior to the passage of the GOP tax law, the economy added an average of 213,000 jobs each month, according to data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. In the nearly two years since the law passed, average job creation has actually declined by an average of 11,000 per month.

The White House promised that the tax cuts would result in an annual wage increase of $4,000 per household. Again, not even close. In the two years since the law passed, wage growth, after accounting for inflation, rose only slightly, from 1% to just under 1.4% per year for nonsupervisory workers, according to data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. That difference — even if it were fully attributable to the tax cuts — amounts to less than $400 for a full-time worker. So much for your $4,000 raise.

We have been told, over and over again, that tax cuts for the rich are good for the overall economy. However, there's not much solace to be found in gross domestic product either. In the four years before the law passed, real GDP grew by an annual average rateof about 2.4%, according to data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis. In the nearly two years since, the GDP growth rate has inched only slightly higher to an annual average of 2.5%.

These lackluster results should not, in the end, be very surprising. The claim that a huge tax cut for the wealthy and corporations would trickle down to everyone else was based on an outdated and discredited set of ideas for how the economy works. In that old framework, the way to produce a better economy is to get out of the way of job creators and let the free market do the rest. A tax cut for corporations, then, should have reduced the cost of capital and induced them to invest more, which ultimately is supposed to create jobs and push up wages.

But even that very first step never happened. In the last two years, the growth rate of private direct investment has substantially declined. In the four years before the law passed, private direct investment grew by about 3.3% annually, according to data compiled by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. In the two years since the law was enacted, that rate is down to 2.5%.

The idea that tax cuts aimed at corporations and the rich would bestow economic gifts on all of us is flawed. Because that's not how the economy works in real life. Corporations don't make investment decisions based on tax giveaways. And wages don't automatically increase with tax cuts or with productivity improvements.

President Trump's signature legislative accomplishment has turned out to be an expensive failure. He will run on his economic record next year, but he should be careful what he wishes for. Given what a bust his tax cuts have been, voters may not be as inclined to trust his economic stewardship.

ges, Nobert and SunTrader like this.
  2. southall

southall

(CNN)As 2019 comes to a close, the US economy earns its highest ratings in almost two decades, potentially boosting President Donald Trump in matchups against the Democrats vying to face him in next year's election, according to a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS.

Overall, 76% rate economic conditions in the US today as very or somewhat good, significantly more than those who said so at this time last year (67%). This is the highest share to say the economy is good since February 2001, when 80% said so.

3. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

Nothing for or against Trump, just hate seeing stats used manipulatively by ignorant people. a.k.a. - Economists

Entirely intellectually dishonest. Needs to be scaled to base. Assume 100,000,000 working population. Two years ago unemployment 4.7% = 4.7 million people. Job creation 213,000 is .0453% of that.

Today unemployment = 3.5%. Assume for convenience, same work population of 100,000,000. Only 3.5 million unemployed. The 2yr ago rate, keeping apples to apples would be 158,617 job creation. So there. Sorry. Just rippin the cover off the fucking ball.

If any economist is reading this, and needs the concept spoon fed. Assume zero unemployment. no jobs can now be created, he would be creating jobs at a rate 213,000 less than 2 yrs ago. How terrible!!

Fair enough...was prima facie an unobtainable and therefore stupid prediction.

One day someone will understand that in a mature economy it is almost impossible to grow over 3%yr. Not getting into that now nor here.

Yes, corporations act without taking tax considerations into their investments or where they keep money./sarc... This may be one of the dumbest things I have heard this year.

Plus, no one at CNN was making fun of Obama, when in '07-08 he allowed massive deductions for capital asset purchases. Which I give him tremendous credit for.

Sheesh!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    murray t turtle, gkishot and SteveH like this.
  4. dozu888

dozu888

Another left fake news brain wash piece.

Tax cut incentivize multinational companies to keep/move jobs and profits to America. That’s how money flows like water.

5. dozu888

dozu888

The left has been making shit up since 2016. Mueller fail. Impeach fail. Why does anyone with half a brain still want to stay in that camp. What have the dem elites done for you other than raising your taxes giving you more bureaucratic hoops to jump thru and more heart ache of policy fails after fails.

#walkaway.

6. So then were the tax cuts worth the increase in deficit and, therefore, the added national debt?

VPhantom likes this.
  7. smallfil

smallfil

Another extreme liberal troll rant. Not working though. I got my tax cut last year, looking for more this coming year. Tax season is coming in about 2 months. Can't wait to do my taxes. Most Americans would like to keep more of their monies. Do you imbeciles have any brain cells left? Keep lying, keep spinning. Tax cuts do not lie. It only goes into our pockets. Part of it would go to help re-elect President Donald Trump and I urge all patriotic Americans to use part of our refunds to support him. It will be money well spent.

murray t turtle, SteveH and dozu888 like this.
  8. The author wrote: "Corporations don't make investment decisions based on tax giveaways."

You responded:
    Let's see if you can distinguish between the apples and oranges here. :)

Not that you don't have a point. Just that I'm not sure you and the author are on (the same paragraph of) the same page.

9. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

I would need a whole heck of a lot of time to make that determination. When I say stupid shit, it is intentional and generally for humor. So without a lot of time to analyze that on a practically line by line basis, I'll reserve the right to not respond.

10. But wasn't that kind of the whole point of the editorial piece? Cost/benefit?

#10     Dec 22, 2019