After Market Multi monitor video card for Dell precision T3400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John47, Oct 17, 2009.

1. John47

John47

Hmm. Before I saw this post I went out and bought a Nvidia 210 graphics card....hoping to run it along w/ the Nvidia card I already have. I did try using the card I had w/ two monitors through windows w/ properties - settings etc but another monitor to extend the desktop to didn't appear.

Anyway, i got the GeForce 210 card...installed it (without uninstalling the Nvidia drivers that were already there).....started the comp and no desktop appeared no matter what port on either card I plugged the monitor in.

Took out the new card, started the comp as usual and it worked. Tried just putting the new card back in, and it started normally w/ monitor plugged into the old card.

Installed the new Nvidia drivers w/ the cd from the new card (without uninstalling anything).....and it works. Looks like I can run four monitors (so I guess my original card was dual capable).

So hopefully this new setup holds up...as its exactly what I need. Should I worry about how stable it is, considering the new card is a GeForce 210 rather than a twin of the first Nvidia, and both drivers are installed?

If it just keeps working as it is...and it seems to be fine...I'll be thrilled. Thanks for the help everybody.

#11     Oct 18, 2009
  2. RobtF

RobtF

Last time I was looking it seemed a t3400 was a good choice for a trading computer - has Dell a better model now? Thanks for advise.

#12     Oct 20, 2009
  3. The base unit T3400 @ $599 is still plenty good for trading and the best price for an equivalent machine. It comes with only 1G of RAM. If you run XP, that's actually enough. If you need more RAM, suggest not upgrading through Dell.... buy from Frys, ZZF, Newegg, or the like.

The next genuine step up in computer is at least double $599.

#13     Oct 20, 2009
  4. I'm a big T3400 fan.... currently have 3, and have sold a couple to upgrade.

If I were to go for a higher performance machine, and as my main concerns for a new computer are mobo and chipset, my first look would be the T3500 with Xeon W3520 or better.... lesser Xeons are rather whimpy, though still more than adequate for trading.

#14     Oct 20, 2009