After IB, where do you go?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by nravo, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Yes, please help me out by explaining a little further. I am not much of a techie and I don't know what VPS and and WDC stand for. I would GLADLY pay 30-35 bucks a month for a VPS - please let me know what exactly this means and perhaps a good vendor recommendation would be MOST appreciated. Thx

#21     Dec 6, 2007
  2. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Trust me, there is no serious trading going on with IB Web Trader. This is a potentially dangerous work around, at best. I am completely unable to monitor the risk in my trades and unable to make adjustments as necessary. Also, I cannot compute the "look ahead" margin reqs on my futures trades, so yesterday afternoon, IB blew me out of what turned out to be a very timely trade for a loss.

#22     Dec 6, 2007
  3. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Very interesting and sounds like a viable solution to my problem. Can you recommend a good VPS provider? Do I need a WDC provider, or is this just Windows' Remote Desktop Connection?

#23     Dec 6, 2007
  4. WDC is windows remote desktop connection. If you have great connection at home, buy a powerful PC, and load logmein or gotomypc. Make sure your connection at home has very high Upload speed (I recommend 1.5 Mbps and up) as it will be serving the data up to you at work.

Having worked as a network engineer for 8 years, I can tell you a lot of companies block WDC use going outside of the company. You can use Logmein or GotomyPC as someone suggested but test it out first and make sure that's not being blocked either.

#24     Dec 6, 2007
  5. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a 1.5Mbs DSL thru AT&T, but as far as I know, its a dynamic IP address. Do I need to get a static IP address to use logmein or gotomypc? Thanks again.

#25     Dec 6, 2007
  6. No, for logmein or Gotomypc, you don't need a static IP address at all. You install a program on your "server" which will communicated with logmein or gotomypc's servers and they'll know what your ip address is at all times.

You can also use a service called DynDNS if you prefer to use WDC but I don't see why Logmein or GotomyPC wouldn't be your first choice.

#26     Dec 6, 2007
  7. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Hey man you rock - it looks like gotomypc is going to solve all of my problems. They even let me do a free trial, so I can doa test run before I start paying. Speaking of paying IB should pay you a commission for helping me stay a customer.

#27     Dec 6, 2007
  8. You're welcome. Go with Logmein if you have to since there's a free version and i've been using the free version for about 2 years now. never failed me.

#28     Dec 7, 2007
  9. Sounds like a good solution. Can you post later and let us know how you find it?

#29     Dec 7, 2007
  10. gangof4

gangof4

ignore this dolt. he's so married to ib that he jerks off to TWS reconnect messages.

i posted on someone's thread about connection drops and about my incorrect monthly statement showing all my gains as short term (i trade futures, so it's wrong and a several thousand dollar tax consequence if not corrected).

being IB's bitch, this dildo felt the need to PM me the following:

"You dumbfuck you

IB is a responsible broker. You are the idiot that doesn't know how to trade. How much money you goona los this year piker.LMFAO."

ironic the incorrect spelling of dumb fuck along with the other spelling/grammatical errors. i'll assume that "goona los" means 'will you make'. Christ, i just realized, he might be the head of TWS development...

#30     Dec 7, 2007