After Hours Stop Loss

Discussion in 'Trading' started by traction, Nov 28, 2020.

1. traction

traction

Hi guys,
    Can anyone advise if there is a broker out there that provides stop losses live 24/7?
    ie they work even during after and pre hours trading?

2. JoeF

JoeF

Don't think so, and probably because the risk for slippage is very real. Some symbols have massive spreads after hours.

3. 10_bagger

10_bagger

I trade a lot in the extended hours and I’m almost certain there isn’t a broker that offer a stop loss in the after hour.

4. tomorton

tomorton

An order of any kind, including a stop-loss order, is only triggered when price reaches the order price level. If prices for the instrument in question are not being generated, the order cannot be triggered. When the prices start being generated again, typically when that particular market re-opens, then the order becomes active and can be triggered.

If price re-opens beyond your order, i.e., it gaps, the order will normally be executed at the first available opportunity after the open, whatever that price might be.

5. traction

traction

So the only way to execute would be to create an alert at price level and then place a manual order?

6. tomorton

tomorton

While your particular instrument / market is closed, you can place an order or delete or amend an existing order, but it will not be triggered until the market re-opens and prices start to be re-quoted.

10_bagger likes this.
  7. fan27

fan27

With IB, you can configure a stop for futures to be executed in extended hours trading. For equities, you have to use a stop/limit.

VPhantom likes this.
  8. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

here we go again ....

Big AAPL likes this.
  9. zdreg

zdreg

Ignore above info.

10. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Not quite as bad. And we don't have "masters" chiming in, about order "guarantees".

To the OP, make sure you understand it *may* depend on the instrument, the exchange, broker, and the simulated versus native. They will differ. And for goodness sake, test it in SIM as a data point, and then try it live. Then know other things can happen especially after hours or thin markets.

Order execution is something people treat as an afterthought. For me it is front and center, and I suspect it is a critical part for professionals and their tactics.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    #10     Nov 28, 2020
    S-Trader and MarkBrown like this.