After-hours options assignment cut-off

Discussion in 'Options' started by qlai, Mar 19, 2021.

1. qlai

qlai

Hi, guys. I know this was discussed here multiple times, but I can't seem to dig up the answer. Is there a guaranteed cut-off time after which option may not be assigned?

For example, I have covered call expiring tonight on a highly volatile stock (I think you can guess which one lol). It's too close to the strike price, so I'm not sure if I get assigned or not. If the stock starts moving after-hours, I would like to trade out of the shares, but I'm not sure when the call is no longer assignable. I've read that up to 1.5 hours after the market close, so 17:30 EST. Can I rely on any timeline or just be on the safe side wait till the next day to find out?

Thanks!

2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

you also have the problem of auto assignment. If you are short the option, you can’t predict what will happen. Your best bet in my opinion is to hold the shares because if you sell and then get assigned you could have all sorts of problems.

I thought it was 430 or 530pm.

qlai likes this.
  3. I was going to make this same thread.

Option ITM at 3:00. Trades OTM afterhours.

Do you get assigned?

4. zdreg

zdreg

Options technically expire on saturday. Cutoff times are determined by the broker.
    Also Options are exercised if not in the money if holder of the call option believes the stock will open up higher on Monday

qlai likes this.
  5. qlai

qlai

Is auto-assignment based on primary market official closing price?

6. qlai

qlai

MoreLeverage likes this.