after 4 months off, Back to IB DDE, but NOT working anymore

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by travis, Jul 10, 2006.

1. travis

travis

I took 4 months off, to learn vba, came back and opened my excel system again and it wasn't receiving prices from TWS anymore. I updated TWS, updated JTS folder, but still it isn't working. Now I even tried updating the new excel sample sheet, but it isn't working. Any ideas of what might have happened in these last 4 months? Why can't I even get the IB sample sheet to work to receive data?

2. travis

travis

3. maxpi

maxpi

What?? Those linked posts seem to say that when you upgrade your TWS you also have to upgrade the API separately. I never dreamed you would not get the whole-up-and-running-thing with one download.

4. travis

travis

We're talking about the 2 exe files, tws + api (for excel DDE). Everyone's DDE problem arised with the April update of TWS.

What solved my problem were the posts, from both the staff and other users, saying that in order to have DDE working with the latest version of TWS, you also need to install the beta version of API.

5. maxpi

maxpi

Yes, I installed the Beta of the API, which heretofore I was not aware of, and it fixed a problem I had with Hyperorder. Thanks for the heads up. I am keeping all versions of TWS and the API from now on, sometimes things are fixed by using an older version, sometimes the Beta... They force you to stop using old versions at some point [without warning from what I have read] but I am staying with the oldest possible and testing the next generation on another computer with the paper trading account. It should not be so complex but the alternative for me is to get an account with Tradestation and I don't quite want to do that at this point, I can look at more symbols with TS2k radarscreen and I need the test account for testing systems so IB is still number one choice for me.

6. travis

travis